Mauser barrels

None of the above..........I have looked before and couldnt find the flat chasers,but someone else found them on ebay................basically,if you removed the actual cutter from the first item,made it long enough to hold,say 4",you would have a tool pretty close to a P&N thread chaser.The cutting edge is supported in the cut by a small bar,about 3/8 or so,,held in the toolpost,but the chaser is hand held and freely movable,so that it follows the thread.Very little force is needed,and the chaser scrapes the thread removing very little. each pass.,but is very quick......Probably a throwback to the old turning method of using a tool like in woodlathe.....no power feeds,or any mechanical feeds........bell turning.........EDIT just remembered where I found it.......Blackwoods catalog online............Blackwoods are a 150 yr old engineering supplier ,famous for their prices ,but prices on the kind of stuff you would have bought 50 years ago...Blackwoods part no.0393 7701.------chaser,hand,12tpi.

Last edited:
I saw hand held chasers like you described on a woodworking forum. Did not see any for sale. I will look again. Thanks for the info. They sound like they could be useful. Another tool to buy.

A McGowan 4140 barrel blank is about $160 and you wouldn't be depending on the used barrel tolerances.

+1 on a McGowan I also know guys that run green mountain barrels with a lot of luck they can be had for around the 150 buck mark as well.

Back