Max spindle speed G0602 VFD...

So I did the VFD mod on my G0602Z some months ago. I got a wild hair to put the belt on the highest pulleys (AC3) and see what max speed is like. I dig the 15rpm for threading, max speeds gotta be great for titanium or?..... I know the VFD version of this machine is 100 to 2000 rpm. Mine stock is 150 to 2400, so I'm just curious, what does 4800rpm look like. Yeah, around 3000 I was just uncomfortable. Everything was smooth, no real issue, but what can the spindle bearings/drive train handle? Thoughts?
Hi Guns, reference speed used by SKF in their general Catalog is 7000 rpm, limiting speed is 8500rpm.
If your lathe doesn't shake itself to death i suggest spare undies in close proximity just in case.

At 3000k, when I hit the brakes....I really felt like failure was eminent. I mean it was smooth but the change gears sounded like a freight train. 2nd time I dropped it between gears....I was keeping clear for a reason. I'll do it again and post, but most likely wont go to 4800. I had a over load error as turning up potentiometer down too fast threw the code. too much fast spinning mass...brake couldn't handle it. It's like traveling at light speed, weird stuff starts to happen.

Hi Guns, reference speed used by SKF in their general Catalog is 7000 rpm, limiting speed is 8500rpm.
If your lathe doesn't shake itself to death i suggest spare undies in close proximity just in case.
Thanks mate! So the stock bearings in this thing are SKF's? I gotta say, I would be surprised!

At 3000k, when I hit the brakes....I really felt like failure was eminent. I mean it was smooth but the change gears sounded like a freight train. 2nd time I dropped it between gears....I was keeping clear for a reason. I'll do it again and post, but most likely wont go to 4800. I had a over load error as turning up potentiometer down too fast threw the code. too much fast spinning mass...brake couldn't handle it. It's like traveling at light speed, weird stuff starts to happen.

Same thing happens on my mill if I have the brake time set below 10 seconds.
Three, four-step cast iron pulleys and the spindle is waaay too much mass for the internal brake to quickly slow down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate! So the stock bearings in this thing are SKF's? I gotta say, I would be surprised!

No, the standard brgs are cheap chinese.
I just looked up my skf book, their brgs are rated at that speed. I would say any similar branded brgs would be capable of those speeds. I happened to replace mine with FAG's ( 32009 ) because thats what my brg supplier can get. I think even 2400 rpm on this lathe would be somewhat a hairy proposition considering the threaded spindle. I barely push my 0602 over 1000 rpm, no need to.

Back