Maximat Compact MK4 coming soon to a forum near you !!!

Alright , so I picked up a very nice (in my eyes ) Emco Maximat Compact 3-1 (same form factor as the “maximat standard” I believe this one to be an MK4 due to the ER25 collet that came with it.) It is also equipped with a norton style screw cutting gearbox that seems 99% complete. It has the Milling head,vertical milling way and original motor (still functional) as well as the lathe head , the guy gave me 2 other motors one set up on the lathe and it’s a single phase the other motor is a 3phase not sure if it’s good but I’m willing to try to VFD in the future if I can get it running as well. The machine seems to have been well taken care of I’ll get pictures as soon as I can where it’s at now but for now I’ll post the crappy ones I have.
My big questions revolve around a particular part for the tumbler selector which engages the gearbox , it seems to be missing the bushing/nut that holds it to the head casting. It would really help me out if someone knew some dimensions for this part or where I can get one that would be great.

I’ve been looking at lathes.co for like 2 weeks now rereading the page on these machines and looking at the pictures , I know whatever is is takes a bit like this one which I happen to have an extra of if it’s indeed tapped to the correct thread image.jpg

And I believe these are the correct gears to go to this tumbler which will then drive the gear set on the quadrant (Norton gearbox banjo arm) image.jpgimage.jpg

However with that said I’m not sure why there would be 2 gears there so if those gears go to something else I also have this gear which may work it’s just difficult for me to say because the drafts of the part that I have are in that old European style that had ways of being inconvenient to me lol I just worried about the “m1” on that gear potentially denoting metric (which I believe this machine is imperial however if someone knows how to check that then I’m all ears but for now I’ll leave it at this hopefully someone can help a bit with this as I’m both new to lathes and mills really and I’ve heard and seen with my own eyes now what pieces of art EMCOs are and I would like to have this thing humming away in short order :) image.jpgimage.jpg

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys , the guy I got it from worked at essentially a science museum and they had this machine sitting unused for years and years in temperature/ climate controlled storage and basically a few years back they offered it to him and he used it for small projects here and there but he’s recently inherited a SB heavy 10 and a large Mill/Drill from a friend of his who passed so this came up for sale and I timed it right and was able to purchase it off him. He also gave me a bunch of round stock (SS , cold rolled , mild and brass ) and a decent amount of mill tooling , he has a whole set of L20 collets that will go with the machine but he is holding them for me right now because he bought them extra and wants what he paid for them(which is fair but I told him I needed time to recoup from this purchase ) it also comes with the original stand so it was a big project for me to move being really my first legit machine tool. But I cannot believe I landed this machine it’s literally everything I wanted tbh , I’ve always ogled the atlas machines but over my couple years of research kept finding The Emco Maximats to be a set of machines that seemed exquisite but also very expensive and I had just asssumed maybe when I was older and had more available income that I could find one ...

Back