Maximat Compact MK4 coming soon to a forum near you !!!

I've not seen or even heard of this model before - very nice.

It appears from the Lathes uk site that the "bushing" you're looking for is probably a bolt that holds two gears that hang off the reverse tumbler, which is the part you are showing in post #4. Typically, Emco would use a one piece bolt with a hex shaped shoulder section in the middle. One side would thread into the casting and tighten into the head casting. The other end of the bolt would pass through the reverse tumbler lever and would be long enough to hold the two gears, washers and cap nut. This is just a guess, though. It might help to show some pics of the attachment point for the reverse tumbler.

The best thing would be to find the parts breakdown for your lathe. Emco typically shows every single part with enough detail to make a replacement.

Another option is to join the Emco Larger Lathes group on group.io and see if someone either has the manual/IPB or perhaps someone who owns one of these lathes.

Oh definitely , if I could find a better detailed parts breakdown than the drawing I have it would help tremendously , I’ll have to check out the Emco group. As for the model I these are effectively the predecessor to the v10 Maximats however these had belt driven milling heads and did not use a round column to adjust height for the mill ( I would think avoiding one of the biggest issues people have with smaller mill/drills)

That is a beautiful machine. Essentially what I wanted when I settled for an Asian built 9X19 back in the early 90s. Being of European extraction, I would say from looking at the photos that the gears are indeed Modulus 1 metric gears. What's important is whether the lead screw is metric or imperial. The threads listed on the QC box will probably indicate which one. The "double" gears on the tumbler could be part of that set-up, to convert, for example, a metric lead screw to imperial threads. Don't know for sure, just thinking~~~

So I’m waiting on the groups to approve me so I can get a better look at the parts , it would be great to hear from anyone on the forum who is experienced with Emco lathes particularly the ones of this vintage ... on another note I believe the dual gears I showed in one of the first pics NOT the metric one is what’s supposed to be there because I can mock that up with a pin to run and turn the lead screw ... how would I go about checking if it’s metric or standard ? I can show a pic of the gearbox faceplate ? Would that help ?

In the meantime , this is the very VERY first thing I’ve ever turned on a lathe just playing around with some sort of steel , not sure what type of anyone has any tips for identifying round stock other than a spark test between cold rolled , hot rolled and mild ?
95D9ABB0-62A8-4222-946F-F015019C47F3.jpeg6957E847-DBF2-4EC3-A2D2-FBA0D7968886.jpeg

I finally got some time to search for manuals for you in the Super 11 group.io files section. However, there are 6 pdf files that are too large to download here. If you would PM me and give me a private email address I will forward them to you. Yes, it includes a manual but its for a 3100 model, I think. Still, it might be useful.

Oh yeah, it includes the chart with all the gear info in it, both Imperial and Metric, so you can figure out what you have there.

Last edited:
Also found this image of a reverse tumbler for a Maximat V-10P that shows that the part you need bolted to the headstock via a pedestal arrangement:

Emco-Maximat-V10-V10-P-Lathe-Tumbler-Reverse-Gear.jpg

This was an ebay auction in the past but the lever looks very similar to yours. Try checking your headstock to see if there are threaded holes that might fit the pedestal in the pic. If so, then watch ebay. Another one like this will show up eventually.

Ok I’ll pm you thanks !!! , yeah I believe the tumbler from the v10-p is an exact fit as well as any parts from the 3100 pertaining to the tumbler (I believe the 3000 and 3100 only differ from mine by using a less useful taper as opposed to the 4000 and 4100 which used MT3 and have an ER25 adaptability)

Also here’s the money shot and a closer look at that mounting hole for the tumbler image.jpgimage.jpg

Back