Maximum tool stick out on a fly cutter

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
Howdy !
Gentlemen, how much of 3/8 hss tool would let hang out a 2 1/2 fly cutter? I got a 6x26 mill I'm hoping to make table extension out of aluminum slab I lucked out at the scrap yard. Hoping to flatten out 12" diameter in one go, I saw 3/8x8" hss on fleebay which would be long enough. The mill didn't vibrate a whole lot at 9" diameter cut but I didn't cut much out of caution.
I briefly searched this question but did not find much. Any input is beyond appreciated!
Best
Art.

I think that is far too much unsupported tool, and will tend to flex a lot causing intermittent cuts and other problems. If you are just trying to make it pretty and don't care much about accurate sizing, more than standard stickout is possible, but a 12" cut on a 2 1/2" flycutter is way over the top in my book, even dangerously so. If you throw a tool, sometimes it misses the operator... :eek 2:

I think that is far too much unsupported tool, and will tend to flex a lot causing intermittent cuts and other problems. If you are just trying to make it pretty and don't care much about accurate sizing, more than standard stickout is possible, but a 12" cut on a 2 1/2" flycutter is way over the top in my book, even dangerously so. If you throw a tool, sometimes it misses the operator... :eek 2:
I'm not worried about pretty finish, I do want it as flat as a can reasonably get it, and repositioning the big slab accurately would be pain in the bacon. What would be maximum you'd suggest? I'm thinking to super glue the hss for extra friction and obviously super light cuts with a sharp tool.

I'm not worried about pretty finish, I do want it as flat as a can reasonably get it, and repositioning the big slab accurately would be pain in the bacon. What would be maximum you'd suggest? I'm thinking to super glue the hss for extra friction and obviously super light cuts with a sharp tool.
The max I would try on your 2 1/2" flycutter is 6" total cut diameter, in general terms. What kind of mill are you using?

And what do you think of this kind of design
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/173368363466
I have not seen that specific configuration before, and it appears to be shop made. The overall size of it compared to the shank size gives me pause, and I wonder how the shank is attached to the bar. Still there are all kinds of fly cutters, which are simple tools. Just never lose sight of the fact that they are inherently quite dangerous, but seem to be pretty safe with careful use and not pushing the envelope. Machine tools in general are not inherently safe, they are inherently dangerous. We try hard to keep from hurting ourselves...

The max I would try on your 2 1/2" flycutter is 6" total cut diameter, in general terms. What kind of mill are you using?
Its a Horror Freight 6X26 , I bought it used and maybe got a bit lucky: no voids in the casting, or any other defects, spindle runout is under .001.

Thank you for the word of caution. Yeah I was wondering about the attachment of that shank , it looks press fit or something . Me thinks with a welded 7/8 shank and carefull balancing that funky shop contraption could work, 12 in diameter, 250 rpm (lowest my mill would go )I'd be getting just about right 780ish SFPM , AmIright?

Thank you for the word of caution. Yeah I was wondering about the attachment of that shank , it looks press fit or something . Me thinks with a welded 7/8 shank and carefull balancing that funky shop contraption could work, 12 in diameter, 250 rpm (lowest my mill would go )I'd be getting just about right 780ish SFPM , AmIright?
About right, should be fine in Al.

Back