May Have Found The Carriage Locking Problem On My Enco 13x40!

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I tried putting in some 100 grit emery cloth between the locking clamp and the bottom of the back lathe way with little improvement in securing the carriage. It still would produce a concave surface when facing the end of a shaft etc.. One day I examined the clamping area by the "braille" method and found the bottom of the way was higher than the bottom of the lathe carriage. Further investigation of the locking clamp revealed the clamping bolt is closer to the carriage frame than the lathe bed. The result is that the little slop in the threads and the closeness to the carriage frame combined with the difference in the clamping planes applied very minimal clamping force to the lathe way. I went to the parts bin (scrap container); found a small piece of 1" X 1" X 1/8" angle that I cut to the same length as the locking clamp then cut approximately 1/2" lengthwise off one side of the angle. There is enough space that it fits well between the locking clamp and the bottom of the way, also the lathe frame, but it cannot fall out. On previous occasions requiring the bed to be locked it could still be moved by rotating the X direction wheel with slightly more force than when the locking clamp was in "free" position. With the extra thickness of the angle it is now difficult if not impossible to move the carriage when the locking clamp bolt is tight. Did not check it out by facing some stock but will know more tomorrow.

Good luck with it! I'm having a similar issue with my Vectrax but haven't really pursued it very far.

I checked the holding ability of the angle iron spacer today (really cold in the shop today-didn't stay long) the carriage is really secure when the clamping bolt is tight. It may be possible to move the carriage with the wheel but I really don't want to put that much force on it. I guess the proper cure now is to build an "L" shaped clamp that has a shoulder approximately 1/8" higher on the back way side than the portion under the carriage frame. Maybe next summer when the snow is gone.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep this in mind for my own, it does seem to have a touch of slop to it, never looked into it, maybe when the weather gets warmer I'll venture into the garage and have a look.

Thanks
rich

Back