Maybe a little over sized for my chucks. But I need to get it done.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I told a guy I would get these turned down for him. Of course he told me they were smaller , and now that he gave me the size he needs, he was off by a little... missed it by that much..

Since my chuck is too small, I was thinking of using my dog plate and building a holding jig. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the alum partial way down, then miling the L shape out, and contouring the bottom to match the L (maybe overkill and not needed, an L might be all. Then clamping the L to the dog plate, and the shaft to the back of the AL... for support. Also center drill for end support.

got any better ideas?

SDC12017.JPGSDC12018.JPGSDC12019.JPG

yes he does. The faceplate and blocks with sprung leafs, is a project in itself. I am not going there for this situation. I didn't see any other methods on his site that would help.

The guy has round skids for his snow plow, and wants to use square skids that are easier to replace. So he just wants these heavier duty units turned down to his size.

Are you allowed to put center holes in the ends? If so, then do it. And make a 60° point BIGGER than the curve in the part and nest it in your 4 four jaw so that the part will set into your chuck be centered and locked. Maybe into two of the jaws? The other end will be centered in your tail stock. Good Luck…Dave.

Can you weld a "handle" on? Make a nice pretty prep on the mill. You can tailstock support it (put the center in with a hand drill, if you have to - it is a snow plow mount, not a wrist watch).

Can you weld a "handle" on? Make a nice pretty prep on the mill. You can tailstock support it (put the center in with a hand drill, if you have to - it is a snow plow mount, not a wrist watch).

I like the weld a handle on it, then I can four jaw it. Damn that would make it easy.

Turn the jaws on your four jaw chuck around and you should be able to grab it.
They are clearly not long enough to grab it. It's only a south bend lathe 9" with a 6" 4 jaw.
That's why I needed an alternative. The weld was a great, and should have been something I realized. But I didn't. That's why this forum is great, sometimes the ideas a fantastic.

I'll have to deal with the out of balance by going to my back gears and slowing things down, but it will work.

Back