MC-60 PWM Controller Modifications

I don't reset the controller with the hall effect. I use the hall efect and a magnet epoxied to the spindle as a rpm input to my Shumatec 550 DRO. I still have to turn the speed down and back up to restart the motor.
The DPDT sw sounds o.k. Just check it for getting hot when running. Does the switch have a center off?

Got to run to Knoxville for a while. Be back this afternoon.
Chuck
The switch I have does have the center off position.
Have you tried the on-off switch in the white wire to the pot, I seen a guy doing it on you tube and then I heard it again here, to restart at your previous speed setting?
I am new to DRO, I just finished putting the Mtech three axis on my mill and I put the two axis Mtech on my 13 x 40 lathe a few months ago. I do not know their full capabilities yet.
Can the Shumatec do anything with the RPM reading or is it just acting as the display versus a separate display for the rpm. I was thinking about the speed display off the treadmills, if it could be re calibrated to read rpm.

The Shumatec has 3 axis display. To display rpm, you call a function (7) and select the axis (x,y, or z) to display on. There is an ad-on LCD display that could be configured to display RPM, but I didn't get it.
With the tach input it also has a function (8) to display feed rate, again by selecting the function, which axis to read, and which line to display it on. I actually only looked that function up just now after you asked the question. Didn't know I had it! I have also added a power feed on the X axis and it works great with the feed rate fubction.
The Shumatec ids my first experience with a DRO, but I asume these are standard DRO functions such as bolt hole circles and hole grids.
This discovery again makes me glad I purchased the Shumatec!
Chuck

By installing a simple toggle switch in line cut the wiper wire and install it there.( center wire on the pot)

By installing a simple toggle switch in line cut the wiper wire and install it there.( center wire on the pot)
Feedrate is something I need to study on. Snapping these small carbide bits to learn their limits is getting expensive. You don't have much feel involved when running a 3/16ths or 1/8 inch tool on the Rong Fu.
I also put the power feed on the X axis. Is there any way to connect the powerfeed to DRO, or does it just help you calculate the feedrate? Feedrate and chip loads are new terms to me, I thought this was something learned thru experience. I have been cutting metal and fabricating my entire 50+ years but never had any professional machine shop training, since a little in High School which wasn't much more than, this is a lathe, this is a mill, this is how heat treating works and that machinery can hurt you. The later of which I have probably learned the most. Still got all my digits though, so I must have learned something.

Installing the switch to be able to return to the same speed after shutting the machine off would add some convenience to the swap.
I ran across one article that stated running the DC motor at more than 70 percent of its' rated RPM would cause excess heat. Have you experienced this or heard this before?

I am in the process of deciding what size sheave to use as a driver and what top and bottom speed I want to end up with, any thoughts?

I am also concerned about life span of the motor shaft bearing with any amount of radial belt load on it. I am thinking that I should make a end mount, C face style, for the motor with a bearing more suited to the radial load of the V belt and use a step pulley on it like the factory motor. Even had the thought to connect the DC motor end to end with the 2hp AC motor to let the AC motor carry the belt load and the rotor in the AC motor take the place of the flywheel that comes on the DC motor????
I'll be back, gotta go to work!

I am new to this board, but not new to MC 60 speed controllers and treadmill motors. I have converted several lathes, bandsaws and drill presses and find these motors extremely useful.

I just came across another option to the MC 60. It is inexpensive and seems to work. I am tempted to purchase a bunch of them, but thought I would ask if anyone else has tried a DC 51 Speed Controller. Here is a link on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/253215421869

This afternoon I received one from China, connected and was impressed with the way that it worked and the compact design. Soft starting is possible although there is a warning not to start at high speed or the fuse will be damaged. Soft starting at lower speeds does not seem to be a problem.

Any comments are appreciated.

DC 51 Speed Controller.jpg

I am new to this board, but not new to MC 60 speed controllers and treadmill motors. I have converted several lathes, bandsaws and drill presses and find these motors extremely useful.

I just came across another option to the MC 60. It is inexpensive and seems to work. I am tempted to purchase a bunch of them, but thought I would ask if anyone else has tried a DC 51 Speed Controller. Here is a link on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/253215421869

This afternoon I received one from China, connected and was impressed with the way that it worked and the compact design. Soft starting is possible although there is a warning not to start at high speed or the fuse will be damaged. Soft starting at lower speeds does not seem to be a problem.

Any comments are appreciated.
I also bought one of the DC51 controllers this week just to see if it would work. Wired it up to a 2 3/4hp (1.4hp @ 90v)TM motor and it worked perfect. Soft start is actually better than the MC60 that I have on my mill. Just wondering how long it will last. For $20 ( get a price break if you order more than one) its kind of a no brainer.

will this motor controller start where you left the speed at or do you have to start from 0 and got to a setting?

Hello all:

I saw thwe recent posting regarding the DC51 controller. I found DC-51 motor controllers on ebay as low as about $USD12 (including S&H). See link at bottom. However, the DC-51s that I looked over on ebay were all specified as being input of 220V AC with 50hz. I am in USA where the predominant residential current is 120V AC with 60hz. I am throwing the following questions out to the group for their comment:

1. If I input 120V 60hz into a DC51 controller will it likely be damaged permanently?

2. If I input 120V 60hz into a DC51 controller will I likely obtain maximum DC voltage (most of these controllers are rated for 90V DC maximum)?

3. Some ebay sellers are selling permanent magnet boards for about $24 which have a maximum power rating of 800W to 1000W (if the rating is truly backed up by design and components this controller woulod appear to be more robust - although it would need to be mounted in an enclosure). See link below. It appears that maximum DC voltage produced by this board will be equal to AC input voltage (my understanding is that 120V AC input will get you 120V DC output). Would you consider this board a better option than the DC51 controller (it appears so to me)?

PS I believe the maximum power rating for the controller linked in toolfan's post is 400W. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/253215421869

Link to cheapest ebay DC-51 controller (although listed as controlling 120W maximum) (I have not tried or ordered this controller - merely set forth as an example of low cost controller): https://www.ebay.com/itm/dc-51-Dc-P...h=item2f246406c1:g:tj4AAOSw~jxbyF18:rk:1:pf:0

Link to ebay permanent magnet controller board 800W to 1000W maximum with dual voltage settings) (I have not tried or ordered this controller - merely set forth as an example of low cost controller): https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-22...h=item4d5ebbde4a:g:H6QAAOSw2kVbfq3E:rk:1:pf:0

Q. "will this motor controller start where you left the speed at or do you have to start from 0 and got to a setting?"

A (my response). Where the soft start has not been disabled on MC-60 controllers, I defeat the soft start by throwing a drum switch (you could just a dpdt switch instead) between the controller output and the motor. Drum switch allows for reversal of direction and has three positions as follows: R-N-F. When I stop using the lathe in the forward or reverse direction, I stop the lathe by shifting it into "N". Then when I start again, I merely shift the drum switch into "F" or "R" without having a soft start wait.

Hello all:

I saw thwe recent posting regarding the DC51 controller. I found DC-51 motor controllers on ebay as low as about $USD12 (including S&H). See link at bottom. However, the DC-51s that I looked over on ebay were all specified as being input of 220V AC with 50hz. I am in USA where the predominant residential current is 120V AC with 60hz. I am throwing the following questions out to the group for their comment:

1. If I input 120V 60hz into a DC51 controller will it likely be damaged permanently?

2. If I input 120V 60hz into a DC51 controller will I likely obtain maximum DC voltage (most of these controllers are rated for 90V DC maximum)?

3. Some ebay sellers are selling permanent magnet boards for about $24 which have a maximum power rating of 800W to 1000W (if the rating is truly backed up by design and components this controller woulod appear to be more robust - although it would need to be mounted in an enclosure). See link below. It appears that maximum DC voltage produced by this board will be equal to AC input voltage (my understanding is that 120V AC input will get you 120V DC output). Would you consider this board a better option than the DC51 controller (it appears so to me)?

PS I believe the maximum power rating for the controller linked in toolfan's post is 400W. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/253215421869

Link to cheapest ebay DC-51 controller (although listed as controlling 120W maximum) (I have not tried or ordered this controller - merely set forth as an example of low cost controller): https://www.ebay.com/itm/dc-51-Dc-P...h=item2f246406c1:g:tj4AAOSw~jxbyF18:rk:1:pf:0

Link to ebay permanent magnet controller board 800W to 1000W maximum with dual voltage settings) (I have not tried or ordered this controller - merely set forth as an example of low cost controller): https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-22...h=item4d5ebbde4a:g:H6QAAOSw2kVbfq3E:rk:1:pf:0
I failed to mention that the motor speed control on this board is soldered to the board. I would likely remove the controller from the board and mount it remotely so that speed control can be adjusted (a definite negative for use of this board).

Back