Mcmaster-carr Lathe Dogs?

Turn between centers without one often.

Limited cutting but doable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Turn between centers without one often.

Limited cutting but doable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I’ve used a parallel clamp and a bolt in the face plate. Works ok in a pinch. I’m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMaster's dogs could be ductile iron, possibly nearly as strong as steel. If one wants the best concentricity on a part, turning between centers is the best way to achieve it, but the setup is not as rigid compared to chucking, chatter can be a problem. I rarely work between centers, but, do if the job demands it.

I have a bunch of old lathe dogs, S/B , Atlas , Brown and Sharpe, Armstrong, all I believe are cast Iron. They don't look like forged Steel, maybe the B/S are..
I'm not certain.
Armstrong's dogs are all forged steel, at least all that I have ever seen; I have never seen Brown & Sharpe LATHE dogs, they are probably grinding dogs, and yes, they are iron. SB and Atlas, yes, likely iron.

Some of the dogs that I have are forged as evidenced by the wide parting line, but I don't think it is a high stress part by any stretch of the imagination. They don't need to sit straight, and they don't need to engage the face plate at any particular angle or position. I would expect the quality of the McMaster dogs to be up to snuff. I turn between centers whenever possible.

Never used one... They seem so old fashioned ...

Which is why I like using shaft collars. McM does have mostly known brand quality items but I've gotten a few cheap Asian parts from them in the past, which really threw me. I remember when you could call them and ask them what the brand was for the item you were interested in and they'd actually tell you though I understand why these days they don't. Thanks Mmcmdl.

You could also text message them - I often go back and forth with them about shipping quotes, brand names, quality, etc.

They generally have parts made in China and India when there just is no USA anymore - the lathe dogs ive gotten from them have been made in india, but the price is competitive even with the cheap ebay sellers.

I turn between centers using friction only and light cuts, works fine. You can also use a drop of super glue on tip of drive center, let it set up, do the work and then remove with heat making sure not to breathe the fumes from heating the glue.

Back