• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

McMaster Carr shipping cost

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Fortis64

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, I have an old Fortis (clausing 100 clone) 12x24 lathe that I'm needing a new cross slide feedscrew and nut 1/2" 10 acme single start 12" long . Because it's an imperial machine from the 40's I'm have trouble sourcing one here in the UK . I've found what I'm needing at McMaster ,good price too . The shipping cost seems to be a bit vague . I've had silly prices in the past ,like $175 off another site . Can anyone give me a kind of ballpark price for McMaster to ship to Scotland in the UK . I've emailed McMaster about this to no reply .

Appreciate any help
Sean

Cooter Brown

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Yeah McMaster Carr tells you how much shipping costs after they ship your order and charge your card.

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Yeah, it’s annoying not knowing what you are looking at, but I have not been disappointed with the shipping charges on purchases I have made in the past. Actually the shipping is quit reasonably priced in my opinion.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Mcmaster's shipping prices have always been fair & is pretty much the only place that I don't worry about not being able to see the shipping costs during checkout.

However, unless I'm mistaken & things have changed, Mcmaster does not ship international (except for Canada).

2volts

There are overseas forwarders such as shipito.com where you sign up and get a “virtual” address like Bill Blogs, Unit 45673, 456 Smith Street, Sometown, California, USA that the vendor ships the good to, then the forwarder sends it on to you.

There are numerous other forwarders, shipito is the one I used to ship goods to Australia a few years back.

pete

chip maker

Registered
Registered
I have never bought anything from them but wouldn't not showing a shipping cost be illegal? At that rate you are at their mercy and they could charge what ever they feel like at the time. I have never seen any sites I buy from not show shipping charges. Some times you have to get all the way to check out but it is listed so you can still bail out of the purchase if you wish. If that were the case many would be doing it just for charging what ever they want. Its bad enough that some times shipping is more than the cost of the item and this has happened to me because of wanting the item.

jwmelvin

Registered
Registered
I’ll bet that McMaster will tell you the cost if you call. They are super helpful on the phone.

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
While I use McMaster without knowing shipping cost ahead of time, I am in the US. NO WAY I would trust them to have a reasonable international shipping cost without knowing it ahead of time. (or anyone else).

Cobra

Active User
They are a great supplier but their shipping is not cheap even just across the border to Canada.

Dave Paine

They are a great supplier but their shipping is not cheap even just across the border to Canada.
If they use USPS, the international postage rates are steep and the same for most countries. I have sent packages to UK and Australia. The rates were the same. Likely Canada same as other countries.

Cobra

Active User
If they use USPS, the international postage rates are steep and the same for most countries. I have sent packages to UK and Australia. The rates were the same. Likely Canada same as other countries.
Dave, they don't use postal service. One of the great things about them is the speed of service. Order by 9 or 10 and it's there the next morning. In Canada the seem exclusive to Purolator air service. The unfortunate thing is now that I am retired, I wouldn't mind a little slower service through the post for a reduction in the cost.

benmychree

John York
I have never bought anything from them but wouldn't not showing a shipping cost be illegal? At that rate you are at their mercy and they could charge what ever they feel like at the time. I have never seen any sites I buy from not show shipping charges. Some times you have to get all the way to check out but it is listed so you can still bail out of the purchase if you wish. If that were the case many would be doing it just for charging what ever they want. Its bad enough that some times shipping is more than the cost of the item and this has happened to me because of wanting the item.
If McMaster were as avaricious as you suggest, they would not be in business for long; I have used them for the better part of 40 years, and have always been impressed with their service and fast deliveries; you may pay for that service and fast availability of the products that they sell, but THEY HAVE IT and ship it out immediately.

Eddyde

Staff member
McMaster is an industrial supplier, thus the purchasing interface is not like a typical consumer oriented vendor. I have been buying from them for over 30 years and they never gouged me on shipping, the rates have always been very reasonable, if not cheap. If I order before 7 pm I will usually get it the next day by regular UPS! No other industrial supplier I know of does that.

petertha

One of the reasons you may have not received a McMaster reply is they might not sell to you at all! They stopped selling to common mortals in Canada about a decade ago unless you had a corporate or educational account. Their justification was too much customs paperwork. That may well extend to other international countries, I've heard that from various buddies. The only way around it is to use an intermediary person/company that orders in-country & re-ships to you. Which is a PITA & costs more. They don't really 'make anything' you cant get elsewhere. It was just great 1-stop shopping.

Cooter Brown

I love shipping from McMaster Carr it's usually $5-15 depending on weight or size but its always blindingly fast.
If I order something on Monday before 4 pm it will get be delivered the next day by noon almost every time.
Does anyone else have issues trying to get a catalog from them? It took me nearly 2 years of complaining before I finally got them to send me one.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone else have issues trying to get a catalog from them? It took me nearly 2 years of complaining before I finally got them to send me one.
McMaster catalogs are hard to get unless you are a "big" client. I never tried requesting one but I have heard many stories. I managed to get a copy from my old work. I don't find the catalog to be useful personally, just something to have. Their website is great & is easy to find whatever I'm looking for.

Eddyde

Staff member
They used to send me the catalogs every few years, till about 10 years ago, then none... the website and app are the replacements.

jwmelvin

Registered
Registered
They used to send me the catalogs every few years, till about 10 years ago, then none... the website and app are the replacements.
Oh but their website and app are amazing. If only other shopping sites were so organized.

petertha

I agree. Its one of the best on-line catalog / websites out there IMO. The search & progressive filters allow you to zoom in on exactly what is available. Also you can download CAD models. Of all the things typically copied by offshore companies, I wish they would attempt to clone that! LOL.

Tim9

McMaster is by far the best supply house I have ever seen or dealth with. They have an incredibly comprehensive selection of top quality hardware. And like others have said...their shipping costs have always been more than fair IMO.
That said...I live in the USA. For your situation....I'd call their 1-800 number and discuss shipping options. They have great customer service.

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
+1 on McMaster having one of the best online catalogs.

petertha

Well the OP lives in Great Britain which was the initial inquiry. So all this positive 'inside USA" karma may not apply. I'll wager him 1 USD that he is S.O.L. But on the slim chance McMaster has reverted to general shipping to non commercial/institution accounts (ie. common hobbyist mortals), it will be the happiest dollar bet I ever lost because then I'll be ordering from them. You guys are fortunate to have a resource like this.

petertha

Rhymes with Bit Out (of) Luck but starts with 'SH' :)

solo

What about Fastenal ? I know they have acme screws and nuts, not sure about the International shipping though.

francist

Active User
Fastenal adopted a similar strategy, at least in my city. They're a great resource and I used to buy from them quite happily until one day a sign on the door saying basically ...we're an industrial supplier, if you're not commercial don't bother coming in... .

Hmm, okay, so I opened an on-line account. Two boxes of set screws was going to cost me over a hundred dollars with shipping. Ok, I get the idea. See ya.

-frank

Groundhog

Fastenal has a store here but usually doesn't ever have what I need. They order it, get it in at their store in 4 or 5 days, charge full retail (if not more) and charge you freight to boot. And usually only sell in large quantitys. I can't see any advantage of driving the mile or so to their store.

I used to get a new McMaster catalogue (unsolicited) every year at the ski area but never used it. The on-line site is so good there wasn't much need for a paper copy.

Cooter Brown

They do have a very nicely organized website but if you spend to much time searching through it they will temporary ban you from viewing it. I messaged them saying they are causing me to lose a big contract and that I was taking my business to Granger. The next day a catalog showed up in the mail and I received response saying I will never be temporary banned again. If you want a McMasterCarr catalog you have to use the Granger threat.

Last edited:

solo

I ran across this place awhile ago. www.roton.com Probably have to find about shipping. But they have a good selection of screws

Groundhog

I didn't know about the temp ban from McMaster. I can understand it though. I could spend hours and hours just looking around. That would probably be hard on their bandwidth if too many hardware junkies were on at the same time!

[6]
[5] [7]