McMaster Carr shipping cost

If they use USPS, the international postage rates are steep and the same for most countries. I have sent packages to UK and Australia. The rates were the same. Likely Canada same as other countries.

Dave, they don't use postal service. One of the great things about them is the speed of service. Order by 9 or 10 and it's there the next morning. In Canada the seem exclusive to Purolator air service. The unfortunate thing is now that I am retired, I wouldn't mind a little slower service through the post for a reduction in the cost.

I have never bought anything from them but wouldn't not showing a shipping cost be illegal? At that rate you are at their mercy and they could charge what ever they feel like at the time. I have never seen any sites I buy from not show shipping charges. Some times you have to get all the way to check out but it is listed so you can still bail out of the purchase if you wish. If that were the case many would be doing it just for charging what ever they want. Its bad enough that some times shipping is more than the cost of the item and this has happened to me because of wanting the item.
If McMaster were as avaricious as you suggest, they would not be in business for long; I have used them for the better part of 40 years, and have always been impressed with their service and fast deliveries; you may pay for that service and fast availability of the products that they sell, but THEY HAVE IT and ship it out immediately.

I have never bought anything from them but wouldn't not showing a shipping cost be illegal? At that rate you are at their mercy and they could charge what ever they feel like at the time. I have never seen any sites I buy from not show shipping charges. Some times you have to get all the way to check out but it is listed so you can still bail out of the purchase if you wish. If that were the case many would be doing it just for charging what ever they want. Its bad enough that some times shipping is more than the cost of the item and this has happened to me because of wanting the item.
McMaster is an industrial supplier, thus the purchasing interface is not like a typical consumer oriented vendor. I have been buying from them for over 30 years and they never gouged me on shipping, the rates have always been very reasonable, if not cheap. If I order before 7 pm I will usually get it the next day by regular UPS! No other industrial supplier I know of does that.

Reactions: Z2V
One of the reasons you may have not received a McMaster reply is they might not sell to you at all! They stopped selling to common mortals in Canada about a decade ago unless you had a corporate or educational account. Their justification was too much customs paperwork. That may well extend to other international countries, I've heard that from various buddies. The only way around it is to use an intermediary person/company that orders in-country & re-ships to you. Which is a PITA & costs more. They don't really 'make anything' you cant get elsewhere. It was just great 1-stop shopping.

I love shipping from McMaster Carr it's usually $5-15 depending on weight or size but its always blindingly fast.
If I order something on Monday before 4 pm it will get be delivered the next day by noon almost every time.
Does anyone else have issues trying to get a catalog from them? It took me nearly 2 years of complaining before I finally got them to send me one.

Does anyone else have issues trying to get a catalog from them? It took me nearly 2 years of complaining before I finally got them to send me one.

McMaster catalogs are hard to get unless you are a "big" client. I never tried requesting one but I have heard many stories. I managed to get a copy from my old work. I don't find the catalog to be useful personally, just something to have. Their website is great & is easy to find whatever I'm looking for.

They used to send me the catalogs every few years, till about 10 years ago, then none... the website and app are the replacements.

I agree. Its one of the best on-line catalog / websites out there IMO. The search & progressive filters allow you to zoom in on exactly what is available. Also you can download CAD models. Of all the things typically copied by offshore companies, I wish they would attempt to clone that! LOL.

McMaster is by far the best supply house I have ever seen or dealth with. They have an incredibly comprehensive selection of top quality hardware. And like others have said...their shipping costs have always been more than fair IMO.
That said...I live in the USA. For your situation....I'd call their 1-800 number and discuss shipping options. They have great customer service.

Back