McMaster Carr shipping cost

+1 on McMaster having one of the best online catalogs.

Well the OP lives in Great Britain which was the initial inquiry. So all this positive 'inside USA" karma may not apply. I'll wager him 1 USD that he is S.O.L. But on the slim chance McMaster has reverted to general shipping to non commercial/institution accounts (ie. common hobbyist mortals), it will be the happiest dollar bet I ever lost because then I'll be ordering from them. You guys are fortunate to have a resource like this.

Rhymes with Bit Out (of) Luck but starts with 'SH' :)

What about Fastenal ? I know they have acme screws and nuts, not sure about the International shipping though.

Fastenal adopted a similar strategy, at least in my city. They're a great resource and I used to buy from them quite happily until one day a sign on the door saying basically ...we're an industrial supplier, if you're not commercial don't bother coming in... .

Hmm, okay, so I opened an on-line account. Two boxes of set screws was going to cost me over a hundred dollars with shipping. Ok, I get the idea. See ya.

-frank

Fastenal has a store here but usually doesn't ever have what I need. They order it, get it in at their store in 4 or 5 days, charge full retail (if not more) and charge you freight to boot. And usually only sell in large quantitys. I can't see any advantage of driving the mile or so to their store.

I used to get a new McMaster catalogue (unsolicited) every year at the ski area but never used it. The on-line site is so good there wasn't much need for a paper copy.

They do have a very nicely organized website but if you spend to much time searching through it they will temporary ban you from viewing it. I messaged them saying they are causing me to lose a big contract and that I was taking my business to Granger. The next day a catalog showed up in the mail and I received response saying I will never be temporary banned again. If you want a McMasterCarr catalog you have to use the Granger threat.

Last edited:
I ran across this place awhile ago. www.roton.com Probably have to find about shipping. But they have a good selection of screws

I didn't know about the temp ban from McMaster. I can understand it though. I could spend hours and hours just looking around. That would probably be hard on their bandwidth if too many hardware junkies were on at the same time!

Back