McMaster-Carr Shipping

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I made a small purchase and since they didn't have all the parts in one warehouse I got charged two shipping fees.
Does this sound like good business practice? Personally I think that's bad business but who am I to say. They appear to be a very successful company. Over & out.

EDIT: They refunded one of the charges after I complained. Forget what I said above.

Reactions: Guv
I have never had that issue and I am just a small time shop.

I'm not a shop but shipping from Mcmaster has always been one of the best for me, they don't over charge like most places ridiculously do.

I love McMaster-Carr like my wife loves Amazon. Their website is simple and fast. They ship quick and provide tracking. They tend to be more expensive for both items and shipping than more specialized outlets for individual items, but there are many times where convenience beats a few bucks.

I went in person to their New Jersey warehouse to pick up something for work once, while working on-site in NJ. What a place! Huge, automated, and efficient.

-Ed

I have been one of their satisfied customers for a LOOOONNNGGGGG time. Long enough that as an individual I've got an open charge account with them even though I usually pay by credit card. They have always been fast and efficient and I cannot think of one single time where an item that I ordered was out of stock or on backorder. Yes, I might be able to get the same item a little cheaper elsewhere, but only after much shopping around and time lost trying to find a good price. Instead, I just order it from them and I have it in no time. Shipping charges are always reasonable. I suspect that you may have experienced an isolated incident, but cannot say for certain. Either way, they refunded you on one of the shipping charges, so that's a good thing for you! I trust that you will continue to have good experiences with them in the future.

I think the double dipping on the shipping charges was probably a computer generated problem. I don't call it complaining, I call it standing up for what's right. I have never had a problem with McMaster Carr. They have a stock selection that's really stocked.

When I want a charge reversed. I seldom get pushback and if I do I ask for a second tier supervisor. Companies earn huge revenue on service charges, simply because we don't ask and I live by "the most they can do is say no."

I agree Rustrp,
I think it must of been a computer glitch. I will continue to shop there.

It's not a computer glitch. Mc Master sells primarily to industry where time is money, so they try to get you the parts as fast as possible. They are completely upfront about this; if you look at the items in your cart, it says when each item will ship, shipping method and from which warehouse. If you see items coming from more than one warehouse or shipping method, expect more than one shipping charge. If this doesn't work for you, call customer service and the'll ship all items when in stock at the closest warehouse, However, heavy items shipped by fright truck will always incur extra charges.

I have been a McMaster customer for years and always been satisfied with their products and service. It is better than amazon prime for me. Most items ship to me (in Chattanooga) from their Atlanta warehouse. Consistently I can order parts this afternoon and they will arrive tomorrow. Usually a day or two before the actual invoice.

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved.

I had the same double shipping charge assessed one time many years ago. I did call and the charges were immediately dropped. If speed of delivery isn't a prime concern you can talk to customer service and request that they only send a order when it's complete. They'll make a note on your account to notify you if items are coming from multiple sources and only ship complete orders. If I recall correctly an online order I made last year was coming from multiple sources. The items must have been back ordered for sometime because I immediately got a notice that some items were out of stock. I had to choose whether I wanted the remainder of the order shipped immediately or wait for the order to be complete before shipping.

I don't know if this service is extended to those without a standing account. I do know you can open an account and use a credit card as payment without them keeping the credit card number for future orders. I've purchased from them for over 40 years and never left a credit card on file.

Back