McMaster-Carr Shipping

I have always been happy with McMaster when I have placed an order. I wish they could tell you the shipping charge upfront, but at least their shipping rates are very reasonable.

My last order told me that most items would ship from one warehouse and one item would ship from a different warehouse. That item wasn't that important to me and I decided it wasn't worth paying the separate shipping charge so I deleted that item. Still a happy customer.

Steve

I have my mcmaster account set up to ship USPS, I get parts in less than a week and I am good with that, they are absolutely one of the cheapest places to find true industrial hardware and equipment compared to any big box store who has chicom crap. I prefer made in USA or Europe and am willing to get the better quality vs. the walmart quality you get from Lowes or HD. You may find a better deal on ebay on some things but McMaster is one stop shopping.

I agree, wholeheartedly, that the big box stores are not a good source[except for Sheetrock™], but don't forget your local mill supplies and a zillion of other online suppliers. It isn't McM-C vs. Lowes or HD. there are LOTS of options....

You want high shipping charges? Try Speedy Metals.

I've ordered from McM and they are quick but quick comes with a price. Most times I couldn't give a rat's ass if it comes next day or next week, but I'd like to know the cost of the options.

The generally have what you want and they ship fast. If you are looking for price check the others first. What gets my goat is the places that have a minimum charge. I went to order something from Victor and the piece was 15 or 16 dollars with shipping was 32 dollars I went to order they came back with the minimum . I then ordered from Wholesale tools . It cost me a dollar more than I would have paid from Victor but they did not have a minimum. That is just me.

Dave

Never had an issue with buying from McMaster -Carr. Always top quality products, get my stuff in a few days with reasonable shipping charges too.

Ken

I've been ordering from them since 2006 and I wouldn't think of going elsewhere. Any order I place by dinnertime gets to my house the next day since their warehouse in OH is only 2 hours from my house. Just pay attention to your order. Anything that's coming from another warehouse or temporarily out of stock will have a separate shipping charge. It caught me off guard early on but in my case their OH warehouse has 99.9% of what I need, so it's rare. I make a decision based on what the item is. If it's something I can get locally, I'll remove it from the order. Otherwise, I just let them do their thing. Also, if I need 8' of bar stock, but will be cutting it in 2' sections, I may order shorter sections instead since longer sections are more expensive to ship. I just look at the price difference and make a judgement call. You can also return anything at any time. I returned a specialty brass valve 4 years later because I never ended up using it, and they promptly credited my charge card for the full amount. You can also send them an email if you have any questions. I did that just recently while I was putting together an order and wasn't sure about one item. They responded in about half an hour. It wasn't what I wanted so I removed it from my order, submitted the remaining items and received them the next day. They also have 3D and 2D Technical drawings for everything in multiple formats (.dwg, .pdf, SolidWorks, etc.). This is the ultimate candy store for hardware.

I just wish they would ship to Canada
I think the only way for MCmaster to ship to Canada is if you already have a business account with them otherwise you're right they don't ship to new customers / home addresses , that's what I've heard but no worries, Fastenal carries most of their stuff and their service is great.

Didn't know that about Canada... bummer. Glad you at least have Fastenal to deal with. I've kept them in mind over the years but never had to go elsewhere. I'd like to take a ride to McMaster one day just to see the place. One of my friends orders from them all the time as well. I'll have to talk to him about taking a ride out there on our bikes. Their website even has detailed driving directions. Wonder if they give tours :)

Like many others I've ordered lots of supplies etc from McMaster-Carr, for work, over the years. They're my favorite supplier for home use also. With many, many suppliers having exorbitant shipping & handling charges I was a little put off by McMaster's "Applicable shipping charges will be added to your order" So, at the end of each order I would ask for the cost of shipping before the order shipped. Very quickly I would get an email with the amount. I would reply I accepted & to go ahead with shipping. I've since quit requesting the amounts since their charges have always been lower than expected.

I did get the chance to visit & pick up items at the New Jersey facility when working at one of our plants a few years ago. Very impressive.

Back