Measure threads

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Super beginner question here.
In the absence of a thread gauge, how do I measure the thread pitch on the stub of shaft that has only two thread 'peaks'?

I'm thinking that I measure the distance between the peaks and then figure out how many times that goes into one inch.
(this is the spur gear on my 10K)
Spur gear shaft.jpg

You can use a machinist's rule and measure peak to peak. Divide 1 by the result, and you have your pitch in TPI.

You can check it with a tap used the same way you would use a pitch gauge

The thread peaks are 1/16” apart which converts to .0625.
1 divided by .0625 = 16 TPI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently I can’t measure correctly.
It’s actually 7/16-14.
Problem solved at the big orange store.

It’s a lot easier with calipers, but still, two crests is dicey to hit accurately. :)

Even a cheap thread pitch gauge is better than none — they usually come with the tap and die sets (Can Tire special) until you find a better one. But hey, nuts work too! Just remember, the orange vests stocking the bins aren’t always on top of their numbers... . Always good to verify.

-f

Aside from measuring, a thread checker is very handy. I have one hanging on my bench for quick access/use. I use it when I don't feel like breaking out a caliper & pitch gauge or if I need to check something away from home.

I thought about getting a wall mounted one like the ones thay have in hardware stores for customers to use. But decided not to cause there are times where you can't bring the screw to the thread checker.

If you do get one, & I highly recommend them, be sure to get the ones with stamped sizes. Some of them have the sizes painted on or just a label. The first one I got had labels, while they were nice labels they can still fall off over time, I sent it back. The one I have says "the original thread checker" on it. Not sure if it is but the sizes are stamped & filled in with paint.

20191231_151810.jpg

@francist now that I know the pitch I’m to retry and see if I hit the measurement.

Back