Measure twice, cut once...

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
and assemble the parts in the arrangement that you took the measurements for!

I made this rolling base for my bandsaw.

saw cart.jpg

Pretty happy with it, right up until I got to this part

too short.jpg

It is 1/4" too short. How, I measured, and I measured again.

Well two problems, one the legs of the saw aren't actually square and I only measured off one side, apparently the slightly shorter side.
Second I measured with the expectation that the long side pieces would sit inside the end pieces of the angle iron. At the last minute I decided it would be better to have the end pieces sit inside the side pieces, which shortened the inside length by the thickness of the angle iron so about 1/4" or the distance I am short by.

Arrrrgh!!!!!!

Considering my options carefully before proceeding with any adjustments.

and assemble the parts in the arrangement that you took the measurements for!

I made this rolling base for my bandsaw.

View attachment 330605

Pretty happy with it, right up until I got to this part

View attachment 330607

It is 1/4" too short. How, I measured, and I measured again.

Well two problems, one the legs of the saw aren't actually square and I only measured off one side, apparently the slightly shorter side.
Second I measured with the expectation that the long side pieces would sit inside the end pieces of the angle iron. At the last minute I decided it would be better to have the end pieces sit inside the side pieces, which shortened the inside length by the thickness of the angle iron so about 1/4" or the distance I am short by.

Arrrrgh!!!!!!

Considering my options carefully before proceeding with any adjustments.
Not trying to be funny here (no, really); from the photo, it looks like you could take a grinder and cut a slice off the band saw legs to make it fit. If necessary for reinforcement, you could either weld a plate inside the section you cut off or weld the leg to the base.

Other than that rascally little 1/4", it's a beautiful job.

Regards,

Aaron_W:
I am glad you posted that. I figured I was the only one that did crap like that. Although, I will admit that my last mobile base came out spot on. Good thing too because it was for my surface grinder and I only wanted to lift it once.

Nice paint job BTW.

Attachments

• 20200403_094451.jpg
    20200403_094451.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200408_092413.jpg
    20200408_092413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
I agree with TJB.
Maybe notch those legs out and either weld the saw to the base or weld a plate on the inside of the legs where you notch it out. Not sure how big of a saw this is but judging by the legs I am guessing it is not that heavy.

Reactions: tjb
This may be a weird fix, Are those legs spread out at an angle? You might be able just cut off a couple of inches off the bottom of all four legs and it just might slide in.

Back