Measurement tools

jonathan01

Active User
Registered
Hello, I am going to order my lathe this week or next. What kind of measurement tools tools do yall recommend?

I have a 6" dial caliper and a dial indicator with magnetic base, but they are cheap ones. The dail indicator is a plunger type, and only reads to .001", I would like to have one that is more accurate. What is reasonable for a lathe, setup and normal work, 0.00050", 0.00010", 0.00005"? I am thinking either 0.00050" or 0.00010". What brand, plunger or hinged type, dial or digital? Is it worth spending $200-$300 for a indicator? Also, it would probably better to get a good magnetic mount and/or any other type of mount. The dial caliper is a 6" with 0.001" divisions and probably is only the $30 to $40 dollar one. Are the $100-$250 ones really worth the money? I don't have any inside calipers either.

Also, what about a machinist level for leveling my lathe (PM1236), would I get a Starrett #98 8" level, and what about a lathe tool center level/gauge?

Thanks for any help yall can give, I like to buy good quality products, but I could spend $50k if I got every tool that I wanted.

it depends on what you will be making, my father in law built a 1 1/2 scale live steamer using a pair of dial calipers and a set of Chinese mics.
I don't think you need an indicator that is more accurate than .001 for home use ( you can read between the lines and get close to .0001)
a good level would be the best investment you can make to get accurate work out of your lathe.
save most of your money for the extra tooling it takes to get the most out of the machine.

mike

it depends on what you will be making, my father in law built a 1 1/2 scale live steamer using a pair of dial calipers and a set of Chinese mics.
I don't think you need an indicator that is more accurate than .001 for home use ( you can read between the lines and get close to .0001)
a good level would be the best investment you can make to get accurate work out of your lathe.
save most of your money for the extra tooling it takes to get the most out of the machine.

mike

For now it is home use, and what I will probably be making, .001 would probably be all I need. I understand that you are able to guess accuately to 1 decimal place more than what the lines are. In a couple years, I hope to be doing a good amount of farm repair work, but when I do that I will probably get a Acer 17" x 80" lathe, along with some better tools.

Thanks

We have a couple of threads on here listing the first tools you need for a lathe or mill:

Check these out:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/50-Must-Have-Measuring-Tools?highlight=tools

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/52-Some-Useful-Milling-Machine-Tools?highlight=tools

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/51-Some-Useful-Lathe-Tools?highlight=tools

http:/http://www.hobby-machinist.co...55-Members-Tooling-Wish-Lists?highlight=tools

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/5649-First-Things-for-a-Mill

Then look at the "Similar Threads" below- I update them constantly.

Yesterday, I bought a digital caliper at ENCO using the 15% discount with free shipping:

Mitutoyo Manufacturer Part Number: 500-752-10 Electronic Calipers; Maximum Measuring Range (Decimal Inch): 6.00; Maximum Measuring Range (mm): 150.00; Resolution (Decimal Inch): 0.0005; Resolution (mm): 0.0100; Accuracy (Inch): 0.001; Data Output: No
Maximum Measuring Range (Decimal Inch): 6.0000"
Maximum Measuring Range (Inch): 6.000
Maximum Measuring Range (mm): 150.00mm
Resolution (Decimal Inch): .0005"
Resolution (mm): .01mm
Accuracy (in): 0.001
Style: IP67 Waterproof
Features: Coolantproof
Power Source: Battery
Data Output: No
Jaw Length (Decimal Inch): 1.570
Battery Type: SR44
Manufacturers Catalog Number: 500-752

It sells for $155, I got it for $131.75 with the discount and free shipping. Total with tax was $143.44.

:tiphat: Nelson

Thanks, I will look at this. My question was more for what qualtiy of tools, not so much what tools.

Thanks again

The 6" dail calipers I use when I reload pistol and rifle brass, I may do a batch of a 1000 caes at a time, but I only open and close it about 1/2" between each case if that matters.

I agree with using a cheap pair with coolant and chips all over. So, I will probably have the cheap pair to get me close to my dimensions, than clean the part and use the good caliper to get to my final dimensions.

I have a set of Central mics, 0-1" 1-2", 2-3", and 3-4". I am not sure what quality there are, I will take a picture of them when I get home. It is a old set, and I can't seem to find the ones I have anywhere on the internet. I found the company, but not the set that I have.

What is a good magentic base that you would recommend?

As far as the ruler, I just can't think what I would use it for on a lathe. I see using it a lot on a mill, but not the lathe. What are some things that a ruler is good for on a lathe?

I never buy anything used if at all possible. I will stay away from used measuring tools for sure.

Thanks

I agree with almost all of Dalee's excellent comments. But I wouldn't write off Ebay totally IF you are willing to carefully peruse the photos, ask questions, and check the descriptions. I got a really nice Mitutoyo dial caliper and a 0-1" mic on there and it was obvious they weren't used very much, or, gently used. In the caliper's case, he got a digital and sold the dial. It was hardly used, in the case, etc. I got a set of Starrett larger mics- they were used, but not ridden hard. You can tell if the lacquer black is worn off them or not.

Most people will say Chinese stuff is ok for newbies. Here is the problem I have with that. If I buy a Chinese one, and I get bad readings, I will think it's my stupidity- that is how I am. What if it is the mic? So I stick to good brands- then I can be pretty sure any errors are my fault.

So, I have stuck to Mitutoyo for caliper and mics, Starrett and Brown and Sharp for the rest of the stuff. I bought a lot of used stuff on Ebay when it was obviously not ran into the ground. So far, I haven't been bitten too bad I don't think.

Just my .02

:tiphat:Nelson

What is a good magentic base that you would recommend?

I have the heavy-duty Noga ones. We did a survey once, and almost everyone recommended them.

:tiphat:Nelson

Johnathan,

Dial calipers are not really appropriate for lathe work. Micrometers will be much more accurate and easier to get consistent measurements. One inch through three inch mikes should cover most of your needs. You pretty much get what you pay for with the Chinese imports at the low end of quality and the swiss and european imports at the upper end. There are some very good buys on ebay for Swiss Etalon micrometers. I would try there first. I'm not familiar with Central brand, but they sound Chinese. Since you already have them, I would probably wait on something better.

Generally the dial (plunger type) indicators work well for carriage stops on the lathe and dial test indicators (the lever type) work well for indicating the work. A .001" discrimination would be fine for the dial indicator but the dial test indicator should read to .0005". Unless you are machining for a living, spending $200 on an indicator is definitely not necessary. You can get a perfectly good Mitutoyo for $100.

I have a Mitutoyo and an old Enco magnetic base, Both work very well.

You will use a ruler on the lathe for checking non-critical lengths. A 12" flexible rule is handy, graduated in fractions on one side and 10ths. and 50th's on the other. Starrett makes the best but they are pricey.

Other things you'll need if you are planning to cut threads is a thread gauge and thread wires or a thread micrometer.

You'll also need an assortment of high speed steel tool bits, 5% cobalt is good, center drills, something to knurl with (the type that clamps on the work is best as opposed to the ones that push on it). How about collets, are you getting them with the lathe? Live centers and drill chucks? A parting or cut-off tool? How about drills over 1/2"? Get a few with a taper to match your tailstock. You should also have some type of boring bar to fit whatever tool post you have.

That should be enough for now to make your bank account squirm. Have fun!

Tom

Tom,

Ok, I can agree with micrometers for diameters, but for lengths I would think either a dial caliper or the ruler like you said. What about for critical lengths? The Central box says Cranston, Rhode Island, but it is possible that they are still a import and are just sold the Rhode Island.

I have thread pitch gauges that came with my tap and die set. I also have a rethreading set, so I could run them onto my threads to test them, would this wrong to test threads this way or what?

I know that I need to get some HSS tool bits, didn't know what % cobalt to go for though. I also need to get center drills and such. I will also look into the clamp type knurl. I do need to look into colletes. They don't come with the lathe. I will probably see how much I spend on other tooling to see if I can get collets now or not. I know it comes with 1 live center for sure, but it may have two, it does have one tailstock drill chuck, it comes with a face plate, but I don't think it comes with a lathe dog. I need to get all the parting, turning, boring bars, etc. I only have a few cheap misc drills over 1/2", none with a taper. The spindle taper is a MT5, and the tailstock is a MT3. The tool post is a wedge type QCTP, with 5 holder.

Jonathan

Back