Measuring pitch

PM sent Mr Z Man. Hobby Machinist has this resizing gizmo that automatically makes my info too small no matter how large or clear it was when I uploaded it. Here is a pic I made for diameter.

GEAR BLANK DIAMETER.jpg

Perhaps this pic will be more useful.

OK then solve for P.

00 GEAR DIAMETRAL PITCH.jpg

That example worked out a little too smoothly!

GIVEN: N = 59, Do = 7 (Just random numbers)

(59 + 2) / 7 = 8.714~

That's messy. If this were an existing gear in a drivetrain: I'd be checking the mating gear, my math, the tooth pictures in Machinery's Handbook & the Black Book.

If I had to have 59 teeth in order to maintain a certain ratio with the next gear, I would check diameter with P = 8 & with P = 9 & adjust the rest of the design to fit.

Easiest is to just purchase a set of gear pitch gaged, made from stamped steel; they have 14 1/2 deg on one side and 20 deg on the other and are not expensive,

Easiest is to just purchase a set of gear pitch gaged, made from stamped steel; they have 14 1/2 deg on one side and 20 deg on the other and are not expensive,
For what they are. Just stamped metal. They can be very expensive. I would instead just do a search on the net for “gear tooth profile”. You will get enough head spinning info there for free. Even pics of 14 1/2° & 20° examples…Dave
https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-Involute-Gear-Tooth-Holder/dp/B00B5KQIKK

Last edited:
I am quite sure that they are available for much less than that ------ Amazon, instant gratification at a price!

Back