Measuring TIR, which measurement do I believe?

Live and learn. Thanks for the lesson.

So to get the final hole to 0.1875, I need to drill to 0.171875 (0.1875 - 1/64) #17 (0.1730) and then use the reamer? Or am I missing the forest from the trees? @benmychree did I get this right?

Last edited:
Wasn't something like drilling a hole so much easier before picking up the machinist bug? It was for me....ditto on the live and learn.
Who knew making a hole was so hard to do? It isn't, if you don't care about precision. Once you start to care about precision, even the simple stuff gets a little harder.

Live and learn. Thanks for the lesson.

So to get the final hole to 0.1875, I need to drill to 0.171875 (0.1875 - 1/64) #17 (0.1730) and then use the reamer? Or am I missing the forest from the trees? @benmychree did I get this right?
More or less; I would use an 11/64 drill then ream. One must recognize that no drill or drill press is going to going to drill a hole that is right on size, especially, if the drill has been resharpened

Yes, 11/64" is better, exactly 0.171875". For some reason, I had number drills in my head.

nother thing is to not baby the feed of the reamer, if you do not agressively feed it, it may cut oversize.

What RPM would you use here for the reamer?
Robert

Ha! I never noticed that.
R

Back