Mechanics machine Co drillpress

AR. Hillbilly

Registered
Registered
I bought a very old camelback drillpress. It’s a Mechanics Machine Co. it has a brass tag from Chas A Strelenger tools in Detroit Mi.
It came out of the Daisy BB gun plant in Rogers Arkansas. It appears to be in very good condition other than many holes in the table. It’s adapted to an electric motor and runs well.
I didn’t get it yet but the owner says he has a production counter off of it that he will give me. It will need a new belt.

Nice. Post up some pics when you get it home. I'm still looking for one. Mike

These are all I have right now.

5EE32D83-ABA5-46CE-B4D3-904004FF9017.jpeg

C87A651C-C7A9-4583-A8D8-43B165150442.jpeg

59D6A13C-5AD7-4F95-8CFF-D04D3E7266CF.jpeg

I like it! I have a 21" Canedy Otto back geared drill with power feed, built in 1947, always liked this sort of drills. I think the term "camel back" is a misnomer for this type of drill, it is specific to a drill that is gear driven and has a big hump on top. I have another drill of the type that you picture, but smaller bench type, but with the same "production" style table and the same 5 step pulleys.

That is a truly impressive arc of shame. Clearly the Daisy workers were shameless.
Sometimes you have to fire a few employees before the rest of them get the idea that you are serious about taking care of the equipment...

Daisy moves to Rogers in 1958. I wonder if this drill was at the previous plant?
I fired it up last night. The motor has a 3 wire setup whit black and non coated ground. Looks like 120 but it’s very slow to start and very weak. The motor looks like a 1930’s to 1950’s to me. Big for a 120 volt motor. I assume it should be 240 but it has no tag. I may have to find a different motor.
It runs very quiet.

Nice. Post up some pics when you get it home. I'm still looking for one. Mike
Still have this puppy holding down the driveway... BetterHalf is still all for using it as a plant stand.

That is a truly impressive arc of shame. Clearly the Daisy workers were shameless.
Funny you say that. I just bought a mid 30’s Atlas drillpress with just much shame as this one. Makes me wonder if it came from the Daisy plant as well. Lol

Back