Mechanism To Pull 3 Chains To Wind A Grandfather Clock Once A Week.

NightWing

Active User
Registered
I know it sounds crazy but I would like to have an electric motor driven device that will pull 3 chains, one at a time, to wind my grandfather clock. I visualize replacing the pull chains with small roller chain and sprockets, a jack-shaft with 3 dog clutches and limit switches for start and stop. I figured winding only 1 chain at a time would allow less power than trying to do all 3 at once. Crazy?

What you suggest would certainly work if I'm understanding it. I don't think it's a crazy idea, people forget to wind clocks and with your motor on a cheap timer that wouldn't happen.

nightwing as a clock repair guy I guess it depends on the legacy of the clock that you have. If it has some sort of family significance then I would think twice before modifying it.

If this is just something that you picked up and would like to reduce the maintenance, and has no historical significance, then go for it.

David

The enjoyment I get just hearing its quarterly noise makes, it worth once a week giving the chains a pull. It take a few moments to pull all three. Most of them are 8 day clocks and if you pick one of the 7 and make it a habit it's not like it is very much work. Maybe just tear all that junk out and put a battery quartz movement in there and all worries gone. They are worth pulling the chains.

Last edited:
Back