Meeting with a realtor tomorrow

Sell the house and move in with your son until after the impending market correction many have been predicting. :grin:

(I do think we are due for another housing market downturn but when is the million dollar question).
Some good advice there, maybe even consider renting, though I know the rental market is very tight too. I wish I had sold my house in Modesto when I refi'd it to buy the house in Shingletown (early 2006). I'd be $200k richer now. Instead I rode it while the market collapsed, thinking somehow I could keep both. When I couldn't pay the mortgage anymore I had to short sell.

The market is hot right now, but it won't last. It never does.

Some good advice there, maybe even consider renting, though I know the rental market is very tight too. I wish I had sold my house in Modesto when I refi'd it to buy the house in Shingletown (early 2006). I'd be $200k richer now. Instead I rode it while the market collapsed, thinking somehow I could keep both. When I couldn't pay the mortgage anymore I had to short sell.

The market is hot right now, but it won't last. It never does.
We have considered that but moving once is bad enough!
Financially it makes a lot of sense to sell, rent and wait for things to settle.

I had my Moderna booster last week. Started feeling funky in the evening, by 5 the following day I was feeling better and over it completely by the next morning.
That's about how it went for me. Got the shot Friday mid day, Saturday I watched movies, read and slept on and off. Sunday was a normal day.
Do plan on having a day off after the shot.

Our realtor set us up with emails on new properties that are in our must have list.
When we got back from our meeting, we noticed our next door neighbor has a for sale sign up!!
This is very good news. One of the reasons we are thinking of moving to be honest.

Our realtor set us up with emails on new properties that are in our must have list.
When we got back from our meeting, we noticed our next door neighbor has a for sale sign up!!
This is very good news. One of the reasons we are thinking of moving to be honest.
That is one reason why I want a cushion around our retirement home. We had several neighbors from hell when we lived in the Bay Area. One was a tweeker that actually shot at one of our neighbors car. He was he worst but not the only problem we had.

This is pretty close to what we are looking for.
Out of the fire zone with plenty of space. I could build the perfect shop in a place like this.
This one is under contract but our realtor knows what to look for. We aren't in a hurry.

you guys in CA pay so much for a property. It's ridiculous. Barb and I looked to get out of the east coast 30 years ago. We went to Colorado, I wanted to become a ski bum.. but have a real job. You can't do that easily. Not unless you have that bubbly personality. So we retreated from the mountains and started looking in Boulder.. For so little and so little in taxes you could get a really nice house. We spent a week looking, then another week later. The Californians were deciding to leave in a mass exodus, and prices were starting to climb.. We came back next year to continue, and could no longer afford our dream, the Californians had driven prices sky high (by comparison to where they were).

Anyway, it's still a far cry from what you pay there in CA. It's also a far cry from our east coast highs. I moved inland to farm country because I couldn't afford what I wanted.

Yep, we don't have the nice weather that you have, but we don't have the mud slides, the fires, the earth quakes, the high prices.. The people that make up Jay Lenos "Jay Walking" ... oh wait... they're everywhere.. stupid people are really everywhere and proud of it.

I know CA has some really nice areas. But the cost of living seems to be through the roof. And your highways are packed. it takes you hours to go someplace.. at least that's been my experience many times... if you are moving, what is keeping you in CA??????

That is one reason why I want a cushion around our retirement home. We had several neighbors from hell when we lived in the Bay Area. One was a tweeker that actually shot at one of our neighbors car. He was he worst but not the only problem we had.
Definitely this. Good fences make good neighbors, but distance makes great neighbors. Our closest neighbor is about 250 yards from our house, farther would be better. I do make an effort to stay on good terms with neighbors, no sense creating problems where there doesn't need to be one.

Last edited:
you guys in CA pay so much for a property. It's ridiculous. Barb and I looked to get out of the east coast 30 years ago. We went to Colorado, I wanted to become a ski bum.. but have a real job. You can't do that easily. Not unless you have that bubbly personality. So we retreated from the mountains and started looking in Boulder.. For so little and so little in taxes you could get a really nice house. We spent a week looking, then another week later. The Californians were deciding to leave in a mass exodus, and prices were starting to climb.. We came back next year to continue, and could no longer afford our dream, the Californians had driven prices sky high (by comparison to where they were).

Anyway, it's still a far cry from what you pay there in CA. It's also a far cry from our east coast highs. I moved inland to farm country because I couldn't afford what I wanted.

Yep, we don't have the nice weather that you have, but we don't have the mud slides, the fires, the earth quakes, the high prices.. The people that make up Jay Lenos "Jay Walking" ... oh wait... they're everywhere.. stupid people are really everywhere and proud of it.

I know CA has some really nice areas. But the cost of living seems to be through the roof. And your highways are packed. it takes you hours to go someplace.. at least that's been my experience many times... if you are moving, what is keeping you in CA??????
Woodchucker,
You have some great points. I'm sure residents of Idaho, Texas, Arizona, Oregon and many other states don't appreciate Californians coming into their state and paying the price the owner is asking.
This is Northern California, we are a rural community. We have thousands of acres of rice, walnut and almond trees.
Three years ago, this home would be $200,000 less.
California residents from LA and the Bay Area sell their homes and come up here to find bargains.
It's a feeding frenzy.
After the big fires that drove 30,000 people out of their homes we had/have a housing shortage which doesn't help matters.
I think most of the country is experiencing a housing increase over the last few years. So much so that it doesn't seem to be sustainable.
Believe me, we don't want to pay $780,000 for a home, but we do want to enjoy the years we have left in a home that appeals to us.

Back