Mental age

Many of my life's dreams have fallen through. I have been to the South Pole a couple of times. I've been to the South Seas islands, 5 years, as a computer tech before IBM came up with the '286. During that time, '84-85 or so, I helped start up a new republic. A small part, very small, but I did play a part. The vice-president complemented me in an after-hours drinking session, across the table. And no guns, no forcing, just politics. Just doin' my job...... ?Once you have helped a small country get started, what do you do next? [Federated States of Micronesia, 1982-1985]

Well, I wanted to ride a motorcycle up the Alaskan Highway, but by the time I got there it had been paved. So, why bother..... I have ridden one in most of the states, at least 35 or more. Mostly just passing through, no "Then Came Bronson". But I have been there. I've wanted to cross the Australian "Outback" with a dog, a horse and a rifle. Well, they have outlawed guns and I wouldn't go without one. So, that one is down too.

Spent much of my life building a useable shop. Metal, wood, plastics, explosives, you name it. Once I had the decent shop, I had a few strokes(6), high blood pressure from people trying to shut me down. I can't use most of what I now have. I can only use power machines when wife isn't looking. Or if the weather isn't too hot or too cold. But I've got the tools, and the know how, to fix most anything. If it pleases me to do so.

About all that's left is playing trains and sitting at my computer chatting with others of my kind. Forty years experience at being 28. Some good, some bad, some rained out.

WOW! I'm 77 and so very happy to see so many other old farts doing things I also like to do. Now I don't feel like an oddball old man.

I'm 63 , but never thought I'd live past my forties ,, drs told me most quads don't live much beyond that. So I lived as hard and as best as I could doing everything I could get into. Mostly governed by income. But I got out of the wheelchair only to walk my way back into them , spurs on hip, hyperflexed left knee, from dragging a leg with drop foot over twenty plus years. Still kept working in my shop lifting to many extremely heavy items . Over the side of my wheelchair causing more nerve damage. Putting me down for over four years now. But mentally I think I'm 30 . Plus or minus.

I have no complaints at 72 and a half. I notice though, that when I was young, and wanted to do a project I didn’t have the tools, so didn’t do it. Later, in the middle years, and wanted to do a project, I had the tools, but not the time, so didn’t do it. Now, when I want to do a project, I have the tools and the time, but not the energy, so I don’t do it. I still have terrific ideas that I could easily do if I wanted...

I was 80 in January, never thought I'd make it this far. The mind thinks it's still 40 or so. the body realizes that it can't write checks any more. I plan to keep puttering forever, Nature will interrupt me some day.

My pride and joy, '53 Studebaker Commander coupe, is in my garage just waiting for an excuse to hit the road. The only two wheeled motor I ever had was a 1936 74 inch flathead.

I'm also 80/last June. Feel ok minus the chronic back pain. I enjoy making "Stuff". 1 offs. Still love to go out and catch Giants and occasionally do solo trips. as far as my mental age, I have no idea but i do smile and laugh a lot. :)

Back