Mentor needed as well as help on a school project!

racer8412

Registered
Registered
I'm part of the engineering academy at my school in Palm Harbor, FL, and I want to learn how to use lathes and mills to create metal parts for an exact replica of a Curta Calculator, I can buy materials I just need a place to use the machines and a mentor to guide me through it!

That's an ambitious project even for someone with considerable experience

Just a couple thoughts:

First I just looked it up on YouTube. A lot of people appear to be building them with 3D printed parts. If you build one from actual metal parts you should definitely make a YouTube video on your entire build. You may be the only one willing to take the project on for real.

A second thought I had is that because these parts are so small, you might do well to by a micro mill and lathe to build this with. These tiny parts might be difficult to make on standard size machines. As I say, this is just a thought.

Finally, if you do build one from actual metal parts it will be worth at least a grand when you're done. Maybe quite a bit more if you do a really super job on it.

And one last thought:

If you build this, take great care to keep track of any and all jigs of fixtures you might need to build along the way. You should video those projects with the same care you video working on the actual parts. Keep all the jigs, fixtures, and tooling together in box specifically for them. If you ever decide to build another one you'll be glad you kept track of all these things. :grin:

Also, after you build it, if you do a good job on the video documentary, you may inspire others to build it as well. In that case you may even be able to make up a "jigs and fixtures" kit that you can sell to those who might want to build one. As I say, just some thoughts to ponder. In fact, you might even want to think about making up an entire "Raw Materials Kit" to build one. So keep track of everything you do really well. You might be really glad you did at some future date.

If you have a raw materials kit, a jigs and fixtures kit, and an entire series of step-by-step constructions details you might actually create a nice little machinists hobby project. I think it might be especially attractive if you could do the whole thing on a small micro mill/lathe. After all, all these parts are going to be really tiny, so you hardly need a huge lathe or mill.

Just a ramble for whatever it might be worth.

Thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind and make sure to document everything!

So if I wanted to get a desktop lathe and mill, are there any that I can get a good enough quality without absolutely breaking the bank?

Look at Sherline. They have some excellent machines.

So if I wanted to get a desktop lathe and mill, are there any that I can get a good enough quality without absolutely breaking the bank?

That all depends on how easily your bank breaks. :grin:

If you can scrape up $539 you can buy this lathe with free shipping.

71wEbdtH6-L._SX569_.jpg

Here's the link to it on Amazon

It has the best reviews of all the cheap mini lathes. At least as far as I know.

Here's a video review of it. (by the way, it's not as small as it looks in the photo of this video)

Based on the size of what you are hoping to build, you should be able to do most of the work on this lathe. Maybe all of the work if you are creative.

Keep in mind that this is a suggestion for the "cheapest" possible solution for your specific project. This clearly isn't the "best" solution. But it should be doable. You will need to purchase extra tooling along the way, but those should be pocket change. Like lathe cutting tools, drill bits, etc. You can even mill with this lathe by putting the cutting bit in the lathe chuck and the workpiece on the table.

Again, these are just suggestions. I'm thinking of how I might approach this if I were in your position. So I'm just offering my thoughts on how I might proceed.

Depends on the strength of your bank.

Look at Sherline. They have some excellent machines.

Here's a used Sherline on one eBay for $500 + $55 shipping.

Early Sherline Lathe

You might also look on Craigslist in your area for used mini lathes or lathe/mill

I saw a fellow on YouTube that picked up TWO mini lathes at a yard sale for $50 a piece! But you're not going to see that happen to often.

Back