MES102RA - What Is This Micrometer Stop?

silverhawk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've seen a number of variants of Micrometer stops for South Bend heavy 10 lathes on eBay. It makes me wonder what mine came with originally. According to the serial card, it was an MES102RA. Can someone tell me what it was? Was it a single micrometer stop? Simple stop? Adjustable? I know I'm getting pretty close to being done restoring this thing when I am to the attachments piece, though I also need to do the taper attachment and actually install a motor.

9272RKL14.jpg

That guy was busted off its base and repaired. You don't know how well the repair was performed. Since the base is cast iron, it takes special welding techniques to do a proper repair.

Are you looking to buy one of these? If so, I think that I have an extra lying around here somewhere.

That guy was busted off its base and repaired. You don't know how well the repair was performed. Since the base is cast iron, it takes special welding techniques to do a proper repair.

Are you looking to buy one of these? If so, I think that I have an extra lying around here somewhere.

I am definitely looking to purchase one rather than making one. If you have one laying around, shoot me a PM.

Nothing wrong with the one you got. It looks like a professional weld to me.

Nothing wrong with the one you got. It looks like a professional weld to me.

Looks can be deceiving. The base metal is cast iron. Cast iron can be stick welded with regular rods, BUT the resulting weld will be very brittle. The base is most likely grey cast iron, where the carbon in the base will migrate into the weld, causing brittleness. Without knowing exactly how it was welded, your casting could crack when you tighten down the locking screw.

Back