Messy work bench....

A cluttered workbench is not a workbench, it is a storage shelf. There is nothing more frustrating to me to need to work on a workbench with clutter. Sorry guys, this is not my style, but hey, you need to do what works for ya. :encourage:

In fact, this is the style of my late stepfather and as I was growing up vowed to never adapt it.

I don't care for it either. I'm often sitting at the bench working on something with small parts or screws with little legs that run away, or fall down drill holes. Its always projects that are healing or waiting that overflow the bench.
After working at that farmhouse this past year, I did a major purge of crap in the garage. If I hadn't used it in the past year, no matter if I thought it was useful or valuable, it went, curb or garbage bin. Felt good...
Built a bunch of cabinets and storage. I even had room to add another machine when I was done... Maybe it was foresight... Lol

Uncle Buck,
You nailed my scenario, I manage everything in the rear 2/3 of a 2 car garage. 6' long 2500lb lathe, Schaublin 102 lathe. 9x42 Bridgeport, 7" shaper, TIG welder, Oxy/Acet tanks, 2 workbenches, 2 safes, 3 Vidmar cabinets, etc...

Mark

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse, but I'm so scatterbrained that I have a bad case of CFS to go with my CRS. Can't Find Stuff.

Sure, the bench gets a little cluttered while actually working, but it gets cleaned up and everything put away when I'm done, or at the very least before I start the next project.

Example: Bought the Grizzly mini-lathe. Set it up in the basement which is at least somewhat climate controlled. Needed to have a selection of tools, calipers, bits, etc handy. Therefore, needed to buy ANOTHER tool box and put up ANOTHER piece of pegboard to have some place to put them.

That's in addition to the BIG Husky box in the garage with the general mechanic's tools, the box for plumbing stuff, the box for household repair stuff, the box for model-building stuff, the box for electrical work, the multiple boxes for Arduino components, etc. etc.

There's going to be an EPIC yard sale the afternoon of my funeral...

Uncle Buck,
You nailed my scenario, I manage everything in the rear 2/3 of a 2 car garage. 6' long 2500lb lathe, Schaublin 102 lathe. 9x42 Bridgeport, 7" shaper, TIG welder, Oxy/Acet tanks, 2 workbenches, 2 safes, 3 Vidmar cabinets, etc...

Mark

Exactly! Forgetting the small stuff I have one 7" and one 8" metal shaper, my 12" Cman lathe, two floor height drill presses, a small horizontal band saw, a per hack saw, a vert Cman wood bandsaw I plan to convert for steel, a 10" Cman table saw (the old type, all cast iron) A Lincoln Idealarc AC/DC welder, Oxy/Acet tanks and several extra bottles as well. An end lift jack for cars, a 40" Cman top box and roller. More top boxes on the bench. A parts wash tank, a storage cabinet like sized to the Vidmar, a 60 gallon air compressor, another roll around 20 gallon air compressor that will be leaving, two disk/belt sanders, a 4" wood jointer, a 6" wood planer, two wood cutting jig saws (the old timers, not the small ones you find today) a large Fastenal bolt bin, floor model. And honestly that is not all of it, there is a machinists roll cab and several 7 drawer Kennedy top boxes. There is a bunch more too.

HA! You have a safe out there too! I brought home a little one that I underestimated the weight of about a year ago. I think it must weigh most of 1000 lbs! Once I got it home I decided no way was I going to try and get it in my house! Now it sets on the floor of the garage against the wall! LOL

I have given up on the wood working machines. I am giving almost all of my dedicated wood working machinery to my nephew since I do not see my situation changing for the better any time soon. So over the next year I am going to do my best to reclaim some of my space without giving up machines or tools used my machining interests, or my auto mechanic interest. While I am doing that I am cleaning, decluttering, painting, improving lighting, adding wall shelves etc. all in an effort to get back to better organization and a shop that I can enjoy using.

For years when the kids were younger it was tough to find shop time. The kids are getting older and it is becoming easier to find time to go to the shop and enjoy myself, even if it is cleaning and decluttering I get to see the improvement and I know what the mission is.

Keep in mind the size of my garage!

Don’t think mine are messy enough. But here you go, LOL. Is there a Doctor in the house? I need help! That little space to the right of the vise is my only open bench top work area.
bench1.jpg
bench2.jpg

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my first post, my late step father was of this practice also. I found that no matter how big or how many buildings we had, none of them ended up being work spaces, they were storage spaces. I think one can rationalize anything to their given situation if one is inclined. If you want use the "my space is too small" defense then who am I to argue with you. I just know that my spaces are for working in and not storage, whether it is the workbench or the building that houses it. Again, if that sort of thing really doesn't bother than you, then hey, who am I to tell you are not happy. I just know that is not my still and would not be even thinking of working in that kind of atmosphere.

And you correct, it does come down to priorities and for me I will never fill my work spaces up as storage. As many would not like to admit, it is a mindset and away of doing things. I agree, even for me it is not easy and requires constant vigil not let it get out of hand and that is when a evaluation and an action needs to take place.

I am not a neat freak either. My messes can get really ugly. It is just that they are project messes and depending on the size and duration can go through several pick-ups and re-organization. I also find that sweeping and cleaning are a lot easier to do also when things are organized. I also found that I needed to limit my interests. As much as I would enjoy restoring or building any number of things, trains, tractors, cabinetry, airplanes, ballooning, machine tools, and etc. I had to limit myself and stay focused on a couple of things, cars and gas pumps.

Again, I am not preaching here. I know some of you are very happy with things being this way. I am just saying it is not my style or way of doing things.

Randy,
No need to worry, I personally don't see it as preaching and your viewpoint is a valid one. I come from a long genetic line of pack rats, the difference is that I saw how much of a negative impact it has and as bad as my workbench looks at the moment, I am one of those people that is willing to let go of stuff. Every so often, I will have the "PURGE" which often leaves others a bit surprised that I would get rid of "cool stuff". I'm currently at that point and have been stalled by a couple of trips OCONUS in the past couple of months and just got word that I'm headed off again at the end of this month. My goal is to have my collection tidied up so that if anything should happen to me, my wife and daughter won't be completely lost with what the heck I have. I'm not in my twilight years by any chance, having reached the tender age of 50, but having to bury a daughter 24 years ago, leaves me with a different viewpoint on how long we are here for. I always joke that I could die in a tragic blimp accident :eek 2:.

Live like today could be your last, let those around you know they are loved, know that every day is God's blessing and don't sweat the small stuff!:grin:

Mark

RandyM, Unless I am mistaken you showed a massive garage/shop here just about a week back didn't you? I am not mistaken am I?

When your space is 22' x 22' then we can talk. Heck, If I had a space the size you have for a shop it could and would easily look as yours. My God man you could park several busses in your shop!

As for priorities I will assume you either have no kids, or those you have are already grown and gone. Kids and family are the #1 priority to a dedicated family man, shop comes way down on that list.

I will admit, I do bristle at your comments here because they do strike me as judgmental. It is a little difficult for me to hear a guy living in a place that to me looks like one of great wealth essentially passing judgement on how guys that live in homes that are likely not worth as much, nor as big for that matter as your new garage/shop!

Since you would not answer how large your shop space is, then maybe you will tell me the last time your shop was located in a space no larger than 22' x 22' ? Unless I miss my bet probably the only time in your adult life you have had to work out of a small space might have been a starter home you and the wife had for a couple of years when you first got married.

As for limiting interests. Ya, I am dumping all of my wood working machines so I am left with metal working machines and mechanic tools. Even then I will be severely cramped for space.

As for saying that a messy shop is not your style or way of doing things........................, like as not that would change if you worked of a shop with the dimensions of mine..

Back