Metal AND wood project

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
After cleaning up the shop and once again having access to my table saw, it was decided to do a little project in wood.
Using the table saw to cut up some oak chunks, I glued the pieces together and used my rotary table with an end mill
to make a round table top. Since a three legged wood stool with wooden legs tend to splay out on usage, I thought it
might be fun to make some steel legs instead of wood. Earlier in the year, I acquired a bunch of one inch square
tubing from the scrap yard that was used as part of the shipping packaging for ATVs. It's a shame to let that sort of
material to get all crunched up and sent off to never-never land so did my best to get some for future projects. There
was a bit of cutting and welding to make the three legged stand and a few scraps used to make something to hold the
three legs from splaying out. All in all it turned out quite useful as well as functional. It's about 14 inches in diameter
and about 15 inches tall. If it ends up in the shop, I won't have to worry about it holding together if I set the RT or 8 inch
vise on it. :)

P1030387.JPG
My can of varnish was pretty old so I will probably end up sanding on it some more and refinishing it later. P1030386.JPG
The base is affixed to the top with three wood screws so it will be easy to redo the top when the spirit moves me.

It is both:
elegantly simple, and
simply elegant!

Brian

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, I need to make it more elegant.............................let's see what I can to.........:rolleyes:
P1030409.JPG
Not bad, but not elegant...:eek 2:

OK, I need to use my imagination maybe................:idea:P1030407.JPG
Not bad but still not quite up to my expectations......:dunno:

Are we closer to answering the question as to which came first? Is there a correlation? The order of your photos suggests the pumpkin came before the chicken, and the last one, well I think it speaks for itself! :grin:

Back