Metal clock from wooden clock plans

dickr

Active User
Registered
I've been looking at several different plans for wooden clocks with the idea of using those plans for making a metal clock. Wall type, not having made a clock before I'm wondering if that is practical ? Clayton Boyer, Nick Andronis, and Brian Law have some interesting clocks, but Clayton's plans are all for tracing onto wood. I like some of Laws because he gives all the dimensions and can work in metric or imperial. The machining is not a problem (only time) if I can rely on the blueprints/plans.
Any comments would be appreciated
PS
I notice that Brian's clocks all seem to be metal (and beautiful) but I think he makes them up (plans) himself.
dickr

Hi dickr.

I think that while it is possible to make one of these beautiful clocks from metal it may not be practical.

The reason for this is that the components are rather large and will be too heavy to operate correctly, if made in metal.

One of a clocks biggest problems is inertia that is why the wheels at the fast end of the train are crossed out. The wheels are constantly stoping and starting and need to be very light, on the slower wheels this is not so much a problem.

But heavy wheels cause more friction and loose power. A clock train is in constant high gear and any friction is a killer, even adding more power to overcome the loss i.e. a heaver drive weight often makes the problem worse.

However, if you think you can overcome these problems by the use of thinner wheels etc then it may well work.

It is posible to scale down to save weight, but remember the pendulum length cannot be changed.

If you think I can be of any help Just ask Brian.

Thanx Brian. That makes all the sense in the world and I never even thought of it. I'll have to come up with a different project, idea, plan, scheme, etc. Sure glad I put that out there before I had a bunch of wheels with points on them.
I was thinking of the metal because the woods become so expensive and the metal I have laying around. I also thought of nylon , delrin, and a few lighter plastics but they don't have much strength and would not look very attractive. Thanx again Brian

dickr

Dickr,

Here's one from Gary's Clocks that is made of aluminum. Looks like a fun project to me.

Tom

Joe Petty Clock

That Looks like a good place to start Tom. I had discounted alloy as a material on account of Galling and changing due to expansion, so perhaps I had better review my thinking.

Probably more to the point, I do not know enough about modern alloys.

However, back to the point looking at the clock in Garys web site a few points spring to mind.

I would releave the sides of the wheels to further lighten them and produce a pleasing rim for the teeth.

Reduce the size of the axles to reduce friction.

Balance the hands.

Anodize the alloy.

I think the timekeeping problem comes from making the pendulum rod heaver, this has shortened the effective length.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. But a matter of general interest springs to mind.

It is often thought that the length of a pendulum is fixed for a given time period.

But because of the change in gravity, a seconds pendulum is 39" long at the equator but 39.206" at the poles.

Keep thinking Dickr

Brian.

That Looks like a good place to start Tom. I had discounted alloy as a material on acount of Galling and changing due to expansion so perhaps i had better review my thinking
.Probbly more to the point , I do not know about modern alloys.

How ever back to the point Looking at the clockin Garys web site. a few points spring to mind .

I would releave the sides of the wheels to further lighten them and produce a pleasing rim for the teeth.

Reduce the size of the axles to reduce friction,

Ballance the hands

Anodeise the alloy.

I think the timekeeping problem comes from making the penduum rod heaver this has shortened the efective length.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment . But a matter of general interest springs to mind,

It is often thought that The length of a pendulum is fixed for a given time period, but because of the change in gravity A seconds pendulm is 39" at the equator and 39.206" at the poles.

Brian.

Brian,

I would expect any metallic alloy to be more stable than wood with respect to both temperature and humidity. Lightening the gears would be a good idea to reduce the total energy requirement due to mass and to reduce friction at the pivots. I know ball bearings are not normally used in clocks, but on larger and heavier gears like this, that might be an option as long as they are not sealed or shielded.

Anodizing the gears different colors would be fun, but would get pretty pricey unless you did it yourself. I suppose you could have them all clear anodized and dye them different colors yourself.

A larger caseless clock like this would look great on the wall as a sort of metal sculpture.

Tom

Hi dicker
I hope this all helps it seems that your idea may well be posible.

If you find a particular clock that you like I will be happy help if required .

Tom
A few modern clockmakers are using ball bearings on the slow moving (High load) spindles.

Brian.

Mods
I dont know what happened with the double post is it possible to remove it, sorry.

Now I need to ask Tom why sealed or shielded bearings are not advisable. I got bunches of micro bearings. The other materials are still possible but just to modify for weight etc. could even drill and ream some shafts for weight relief. When I get to the point of a particular wall hanging/clock I'll have more questions. got a lot of help comin in here. Thanx guys
dickr

Now I need to ask Tom why sealed or shielded bearings are not advisable. I got bunches of micro bearings. The other materials are still possible but just to modify for weight etc. could even drill and ream some shafts for weight relief. When I get to the point of a particular wall hanging/clock I'll have more questions. got a lot of help comin in here. Thanx guys
dickr

Sealed and shielded bearings would have too much drag for use in clocks. You would need open bearings, thoroughly cleaned to get rid of any grease and oiled with clock oil. Too bad you have all those bearings that you can't use. What a drag! :lmao:

Something to consider though, you might be able to pop the seals off the bearings you have.

Tom

Back