Metal cutting bandsaw.

why does everyone think you need a transmission when a simple treadmill motor works great. I have 1 on my band saw and 1 on my south bend lathe/

why does everyone think you need a transmission when a simple treadmill motor works great. I have 1 on my band saw and 1 on my south bend lathe/
I use lawn tractor transmissions on several pieces of equipment when I first started my shop because my dad repaired them and we always had them setting around. Now days there are treadmills setting around everywhere. Years ago they weren't that common, we basically just walked on our own.

Because that would be too easy ;)

I am curious about that. How is the torque when you are running at 1/20th of full rpm?
Robert

Do you not understand the math or simply how to go about mechanically controlling the speed?
I won't be strong on the math either, but I was just looking at the machinacals. Just to be sure I had some idea what to do.. I only want to cut sheet metal on the saw anyway. Not 2" thick bar.

I won't be strong on the math either, but I was just looking at the machinacals. Just to be sure I had some idea what to do.. I only want to cut sheet metal on the saw anyway. Not 2" thick bar.

Thin sheet material will be far more difficult then large bars.

For Sheet Metal you need really fine teeth. At least 18 TPI. How thin exactly?
Robert

No worries, If you decide to do the conversion I and others will be here to help. It will be very helpful to post some photos of your machine.

Back