Metal saw blade question

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Bought a 10/14 tpi blade for my new Bauer portasaw. First cut was on aluminum and went well. Second and every other cut the blade was only cutting once every rotation seemingly at the same spot. Never experienced that before. The teeth look fine and the drive wheels are clean. I shoulda'a stuck with Lennox, which I use on my horizontal saw but live and learn. Will switch to new blade tomorrow but for now I'm curious what you guys think it is. Bad heat treat? Just a crappy blade?

Stripped teeth sound like that too. Look close at the teeth.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Teeth aren't clogged at all and they do look good and feel sharp. I'll put the other one on tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll decrease speed but I don't think it's that.

lennox are still decent, although they used to be excellent.
now you just the the higher price for a decent blade

Who is the go to blade now?

Who is the go to blade now?

I'm still happy using my Lenox bi-metal blades Prices aren't as cheap when Enco was around but I still get them at a decent price from my local MSC. But my salesguy gives me discounts so that helps.

I have gotten blades like that. If the weld is made crooked the blade will move back and forth as it runs. Watch the blade carefully from the side and see if it oscillates front to rear. If so, I suspect a crooked weld. You could potentially re-weld it and salvage the blade. I suppose it is also possible the raw material was crooked. That is probably not fixable.
I only run Lenox Diemaster II now.
Robert

Well guys, I replaced the blade with its brother from the pack. Good to go again. Before that I took my file card and slowly cleaned the old blade with it. No change. Funny that the blade still looks relatively new. Maybe I got a bad one.

Some of the youtube posters (eg nyc cnc) recommend a shop microscope for examining cutter surfaces. Koolertron 4.3 is well rated for around 100 bucks. Your blade may look much different under some magnification.

I don't need the magnification not because I can see well, I cant. It's because when my blades don't work, its because I installed them backward, upside down, etc.....

Back