Metal Supplier Near Tacoma, WA?

Halfnuts

Active User
Registered
Hi All,

I just retired and moved to Washington state. Can anyone point me to a metal supplier near Tacoma? I'm just a hobbyist, and need to find a source of small quantities of steel, brass, aluminum, and steel tubing and angle. The gargle searcher thing points me to large industy suppliers that really aren't geared for, nor interested in my business.

Thanks, Jim. Metal Supermarkets looks to be what I'm looking for.

MS is relatively expensive, particularly for smaller steel items. I find I can buy a 1/2 or full length piece of the same size steel (square, angle, flat, or tube/round) from a scrap yard (not scrap pieces, new), for the same or less than what MS would charge for a much shorter piece + their cut charge.

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to stay out of Seattle and the surrounding areas. I sort of have a problem with crowds of people and traffic. That's why I ended up on an island.

Look around for smaller privately owned, operated machine shops, not big corporations, they are often willing to sell, very cheaply, bar ends and offcuts, also parts that have come out undersize, also structural fabricators will often have sizeable offcuts of heavy RSJ and angles even flat bar that they will sell very cheap. I have one near me that allows me to rummage through his scrap skip whenever i like, costs me a slab of beer at Xmas time for his Xmas party. 90% of the material I use comes from here.

Gargle searcher is when your wife forgets where she put the mouthwash
:D

Back