Metal Tags For Threading On Lathe

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The metal tag on my Martin DLZ502 is basically unreadable. They couldn't have put it in a worse spot. 60 years of grime and tools laying on it.
Is the a way to kind of restore it so it's at least able to be read? I've tried cleaning it with degreaser. It helps a bit when you wipe oil or something wet.
Any ideas? Or does someone have the same lathe that you could take a photo and send to me?
Thanks
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I was going to order the manual. Groundhog you do outstanding work and your website is great.
Thanks
Martin

Unfortunately the manual I have in pdf for that lathe is not in English.

Hi Bill
Would your manual have a page with the threading chart?
Thanks
Martin

Is the tag etched brass? I'm in the process of restoring the threading nameplate for my SB 9A. I don't plan on posting pictures until probably next weekend, but I can give you a rundown of the process I'm using:

• Clean the part in industrial degreaser (ok for brass, not ok for aluminum parts)
  • Wire brush with brass brush
  • Use liquid mask found in art supply stores to mask off areas I don't want painted
  • Spray your color coat
  • Remove liquid mask, mask fresh painted areas, spray another color if desired (multi color plate, obviously)
  • At this point I plan on baking the part in a low temp oven for a while to make the enamel ultra hard
  • Use fine grit sandpaper on granite plate and sand surface of part to expose raised brass letters.

This is not the brand of liquid mask that I'm using, but it's the same basic stuff. I did find that some require mask removal with a pencil eraser while others can be removed with only your finger. I opted for the finger removable stuff.
http://www.michaels.com/winsor-newton-water-colour-medium-art-masking-fluid/D004134S.html

_____
On the odd chance you don't see the point in the above process, this is the end result I'm going for:
img108.jpg

img108.jpg

img108.jpg

img108.jpg

img108.jpg

img108.jpg

Nice job Wildo, on your lathe, look better than new.
Thanks for your help
Martin

Nice job Wildo, on your lathe, look better than new.
Thanks for your help
Martin

Thank you, but just to be clear- that picture is not my lathe; it's a lathe I'm drawing a ton of inspiration from! You can see more pics of this spectacular lathe here. I am personally going for "at least as good as new, hopefully a bit better" though on my own lathe. You can see that here if you like.

Martin,
I followed the link to the pictures of your project. You are doing an amazing job. The before and after shots really show how much work you are putting into that lathe.

Keep the reports and pictures coming!

Back