Metric Change Gearing on Sheldon

mws

Active User
Registered
I have a Sheldon 10" EXL. Except for lack of a taper attachment and Follow Rest I love it. But it's inevitable that I will need some metric capability sooner than later. I was thinking of getting the required gearing from Boston Gear and having at it. So here's my question:

The basic change ratio is a 127:110 change gear. Most of the Metric Gear sets show 6 other gears (48~26 teeth) for all the 0.1mm increments but show it with the single tumbler GC gearbox. I have the later dual tumbler gear box. Do I need ALL the other 6 gears?

I'm guessing I might, but thought I might avoid doing a complete spreadsheet of all the ratios in my machine and ask first.

Thanks,
Mark

You need the 26, 28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 48, 110, 127 tooth gears for the dual tumbler gear box along with the 44 tooth gear that should already be installed in the gear train. They should be 16 pitch 20 deg PA.

You need the 26, 28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 48, 110, 127 tooth gears for the dual tumbler gear box along with the 44 tooth gear that should already be installed in the gear train. They should be 16 pitch 20 deg PA.
Thank you very much. That agrees with my copy of the mil manual I have. I did some calculating using a 127/100 tooth compound and that misses a few pitches, but requires no additional gears using the QC gearbox. For the little metric threading I might do it may be more practical to just pick up a little metric lathe. Who doesn't need another tool? :)

Back