Metric thread question

On Honda D-series motors, the distributor rotor is retained by an M3.5x.8 screw (according to the parts list). Trying to find some socket head screws to replace the phillips heads supplied with aftermarket rotors, I was struck by the extremely odd nature of this screw (very coarse pitch for the diameter). Standing in the fastener aisle at OSH doing some mental calculations, it struck me. It was a damn 6-32 with the dimensions translated to metric! Why the hell they would have picked that particularly weak thread is still a mystery.
Sorry,32 t.p.i is equal to 0.03125" pitch x 25.4 = 0.79375, bit out on the diameter as well.May fit but will not take the design load and may damage the thread.
I have just this morning,(an hour ago),nearly been caught out with a MF35 tractor. One about a 3 hour drive away has a leaking carb and one I have here is good so I took the carb off to give it a clean and check before sending North. Inlet was a compression fitting not a banjo and this one I have is Metric not Imperial.
M12 x 1.25 as opposed to 1/2" UNF . Glad I checked as now I will have to send fuel line as well so my friend can fit it. Close,very close but not close enough.

I am often amused by the denizens of another forum scouring the earth for M11-1.25 bolts and fittings for various things from seatbelt mounts to clutch hydraulics. Suggestions (by me) that they are really 7/16-20 get ignored because everyone knows BMWs are metric.

I am often amused by the denizens of another forum scouring the earth for M11-1.25 bolts and fittings for various things from seatbelt mounts to clutch hydraulics. Suggestions (by me) that they are really 7/16-20 get ignored because everyone knows BMWs are metric.
Why I always measure 1st! Also the international standard mounting bolt for a seat belt IS 7/16"-20! You are on the money.

Back