Metric threads on a Powermatic?

as long as you have the right gears 127 tooth or there are more combinations that will do it. I don't know what they are at this time. what you need to do on most lathes in to engage the half nut and not release it until your thread is done use forward and reverse, take a cut reverse the lathe back out the tool and run the tool bit back. take other cuts until thread is finished then you can release the halfnut. this is how you cut a metric thread with an sea leadscrew. my old lathe manual had this information. bill

when I bought the instruction book for my log/wards 700 series there was a page talking aobut the ability to do metric threads with a certain gear that you would have to buy im guessing...and it said you had to leave the half nut engaged to do them.. Id have to look up the page again if you wanted more details...what model do you have?

10" wards model which was made by same company bill

Short answer; no, nobody has done it. But there’s a lot of Logan/Wards/Powermatic owners that have investigated it. I believe that Logan sells the transposing gears, but it’s a 37t/47t combo that comes close to metric threads but misses slightly in terms of precision. Actually, there’s lots of metric threads you can cut with your imperial gearbox, not exact but will work fine on short threads.

there are 25.4 mm per inch. the first gear that works evenly is5 times 25.4 which equals 127 tooth gear if you can find that gear in your pitch then you can cut accurate metric gears you just need to work out the ratio of headstock spindle to leadscrew rotation. I never studied this but I'm sure the machinerys handbook has how you figure it out bill

http://lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180297

This link from Logan provides information on cutting metric threads on Logan lathes. Assuming your Powermatic has a gear train
the same as a Logan, it should be possible. I would call Logan directly and ask for Scott Logan: he can help you out.

Yup, all is explained in Section 4.1. How can I cut metric threads on a Logan lathe?

my mong wards was sold as a powr-kraft what is the diff between that and a power matic? the paper I haveon metric threading tells the exact same information as the link above so its of no help to the original poster

Powermatic bought out Logan and produced their lathes for a period of time, but only in the larger sizes. The older machines like the
Model 200 and your Wards lathes had been dropped from the line. But, I just looked at a copy of a 1980 Powermatic/Logan catalog
and it indicates that transposing gears were available as an accessory for cutting metric threads.

Back