Metric threads on the Atlas/Craftsman 6" and Mk2

OK here's the result: I get about 2 tenths at my arbor's register (about 1 each for the MT2 collet and my arbor combined)
BUT there's about 5 tenths in the unimat chuck itself, for a combined total of about 7 tenths. So I did everything correctly on my end.
For hobby stuff, it's fine. Very usable :cool:
-Mark

7 Tenths is certainly close enough for most work. But if you are using the chuck and arbor such that you have .0005" + .0002" = .0007", rotating either of the parts 180 deg. relative to the other should result in you getting .0005 - .0002 = .0003".

Also, I don't have the numbers handy for SB as I do for Atlas, but 52T/44T is another metric approximation that is almost as good as the huge and expensive 127T/120T, and the two gears happen to come with the standard Change Gear Assembly of the Atlas 6", 10" and 12". And are the basis for the Change Gear chart for cutting metric approximations with those lathes. The settings are on the Atlas factory charts. And will fit on the standard Banjo with the Change Gear Cover closed.

Those Atlas engineers really had a good recipe- I'll bet they never dreamed these little lathes would have the legs they do
-M

I'll find out soon just how pretty those legs are. I ordered a MT2 ER40 Collet Chuck.

Make sure that the small end of the MT2 Arbor is drilled and tapped for 3/8"-16 so that you can lock the chuck to the spindle. Otherwise it will (not may) eventually come loose and ruin the part and maybe the chuck. A better choice may have been one threaded 1"-10 as that allows work pieces up to about 1/2" diameter to stick back into the hollow spindle. However, the only one that I know of is threaded 1"-8. So it will fit the 101.07301 but not the other 6" models.

Back