Metric to american

Ill keep that in mind thanks Bill. Just a question how wide does a set of metric micrometers measure? Equivalent to a 0-1?

Does anyone have a chart as to what American threads are close enough to metric threads?

That makes good sense. For conversion factors, multiply any dimension in millimeters by 25.4. In centimeters, you can multiply by 10 and then convert. For decimeters, by 100 then convert. The result will be in inches. Run out 3 or 4 decimals and round it as fits. Some places it matters, some it doesn't. That's essentially what I do with my models.

As an aside, I picked up a metric micrometer on eBay a while back for 3 or 4 bux. They paid shipping... It took 3 weeks plus to get here and I'm not sure how accurate it is. But I was getting it as a standby tool anyway. If I measure a 12mm shaft at 12.02mm, that's close enough for what I do.
Bill, I believe that you meant to say divide by 25.4 to convert mm to inches. I multiply by ,3937 to convert to inche. If a rough calculation is OK, .4 works. I work with both but becuase my measurement tools are Imperial, I convert almost everything to inches

When I did layouts with a scribe and ruler, designing to nice round numbers was more or less a necessity. Nowadays, with CAD, DRO's, digital calipers, and CNC's, round numbers aren't as important. A consideration as to whether to design in metric or Imperial. In the U.S., Imperial measured stock is readily available while metric stock is not. In the rest of the world, metric stock is the most common one. Also true for fasteners. Here, you can find metric fasteners but usually they are more expensive.

Well what i may do is keep everything metric but convert to imperial to make the part but when i have to use metric fasteners i will engineer it to be imperial fasteners.

RJ......I think you meant multiply by 0.03937 for mm to inch. Left out a zero:cool:

In general I like Metric, but I'm pretty well instrumented up for Imperial, plus some machines are cross-dialed, and some have DRO that speaks Metric. Too late in life to start buying a bunch of Metric instruments. Of course, some (the digital stuff) is bilingual.

I have a couple of digital tools that work great both ways. I particularly like my Mitutoyo Solar powered calipers. I also have a 0-1" digital micrometer but I pretty much only use it when I need to do Metric. I much prefer my mechanical micrometers because I don't have to search for batteries every time I need it.

I interchange metric and Imperial all the time.

Al you need is a calculator and 1 constant:: 25.4.

Imperial ince = metric mm / 25.4
metric mm = Imperial inch * 25.4

10mm = 10 / 25.4 = 0.393700
1 inch = 1 * 25.4 = 25.4 mm

I have a machinest calc pro which is very sophisticated that i dont remember the button sequence to figure things out.

Back