Micke's Swedish Orn lathe

Micke S

Active User
Registered
So, I've found this forum :)). I was looking for documentation to my old lathe, which is a Swedish Orn lathe from about WW2. I found that member Hawkeye here have the same type of lathe and registred.

I bought the lathe for 600 dollars and fetched it from a small old aircraft hangar. It didn't look very nice at the time but it would spin and all original accessories appeared to be included.

20121215_193124.jpg

We used an old wooden drill tower to load it on the truck.

The lathe came home to my garage without hazzle. Here it has been cleaned and painted. The spindle oilers were cracked so they were replaced and I took out the spindle assembly and cleaned it and checked the bearings.

DSC00654.JPG

DSC01012.JPG

The original 3 jaw chuck was in bad condition with odd jaws. The 4 jaw independent chuck was in superb condition. I bought a lightly used precision steel chuck and replaced the stock 3 jaw with.

DSC03150.JPG

DSC03210.JPG

The lathe has also been provided with a frequency converter, a DRO and a better tool post. I'm only using modern cutters so the lathe works very well for just about any type of turning. It has a removable section so it is possible to throw in a 18" rim if you want.

DSC03158.JPG

DSC00719.JPG

DSC03127.JPG

The last pictures for this time is when the lathe was used to convert a front wheel from drum to disc brake on an old moped, and a Sixdays' Classic Monark 125 CC that I have among other vehicles.

DSC02469.JPG

20140529_114434.jpg

Movie from when the frequency converter was tested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTRlJApB_QY

Another one that shows the DRO in work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHGGVxk80t0

This when I turned an adpater bushing for the new old tool post. The center hole in it for the lathe stud was 2 mm too wide, 52 instead of 50 mm so I made a precision bushing to match them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqt84sgctAs

To be continued, stay tuned !

20121215_193124.jpg DSC00654.JPG DSC01012.JPG DSC03150.JPG DSC03210.JPG DSC03158.JPG DSC00719.JPG DSC03127.JPG DSC02469.JPG 20140529_114434.jpg

Re: Micke's Hobby Garage

Thats a beauty Micke , nice!

From your photo the back gears looked brand new. I like the work you have done to bring this nice old lathe up to today's standards.

Great job on the machine. We hope you enjoy the fun here like the rest of us. And,

:welcome2:

Also, I tweaked your thread title and moved it to a more proper section. I hope you don't mind.

Great job on the machine. We hope you enjoy the fun here like the rest of us. And,

:welcome2:

Also, I tweaked your thread title and moved it to a more proper section. I hope you don't mind.

OK, thanks RandyM :thumbzup:

Micke, that's a nice lathe. Good to see another one like mine. I just added the same DRO to mine, but didn't get to use it before it got smoke-damaged in the fire. The machines weren't subjected to any heat, so it should be possible to get them cleaned and returned to service. Then I'll replace the DRO.

Sorry to hear about the fire.

The lathe is very stable and can cut a very nice surface. The pic below is 70 mm aluminium T6 bar.

There are four fiber pads that oil the beds and protects them. I don't know the correct word for these items. Anyway, I've replaced them since they were worn and held a lot of metal debris.

DSC03188.JPG

Old rag with debris and not making good contact
DSC03228.JPG

Left one is new and sits tight to the bed
DSC03230.JPG

DSC03188.JPG DSC03228.JPG DSC03230.JPG

Here is another accessory, I don't know the English word for the "supporting stand follower" but the picture speaks for itself.

Medlöpande stöd.jpg

Medlöpande stöd.jpg

Micke, that accessory is called a follower rest, or follow rest (at least where I'm from!). Then there is also the steady rest, which attaches to the bed of the lathe and is stationary, unlike the follow rest which moves with the tool.

Thank you, follow rest sounds OK.

Back