Micro100 boring bar, which coating? If any.

Slotting those sleeves in a vise, I'll probably have to make two aluminum sandwich plates with long V cuts to hold tubes/round bars,.
With SHCS to bolt the two V plates together. Two long blocks with V cuts on both sides. This way, I can securely hold long parts
in a vise along the axis., otherwise, the saw blade would cut just above the vises jaw., which would probably work with V blocks also.
Small V blocks.

Slotting those sleeves in a vise, I'll probably have to make two aluminum sandwich plates with long V cuts to hold tubes/round bars,.
With SHCS to bolt the two V plates together. Two long blocks with V cuts on both sides. This way, I can securely hold long parts
in a vise along the axis., otherwise, the saw blade would cut just above the vises jaw., which would probably work with V blocks also.
Small V blocks.

Maybe a good idea not to overthink it. If you clamp the sleeves so the hole in the sleeve clears the side of the jaws, and you have identical length sleeves on both sides, then the jaws will clamp tight without skewing the jaws. You now have sleeves with their bores exposed enough to cut through the wall of the sleeve without touching the jaws of the vise and you can make the cut. The sleeve is held solidly, will not move and the cut goes smoothly. I know this works because I've done it a half-dozen times. It is also helpful because you can slot each sleeve in one set up.

Excellent. I haven't tried the set up, so thinking about it, I wondered if the vise would hold less than 1/2 of the OD lengthwise, but if you say it works, I believe it. Thanks. I may have a slot saw wide enough for the cut. I may use O1 tool steel or 4140. For a 3/16" Micro100 BB, a 3/16" reamer should leave a nice fit after the slot is cut.

Last edited:
I suggest plain old mild steel. I used 12L14. Soft enough not to crack under compression. Not so sure about O-1. I also suggest you drill and ream the sleeve first, then cut the slots. You cannot ream once the slots are cut.

I suggest plain old mild steel. I used 12L14. Soft enough not to crack under compression. Not so sure about O-1. I also suggest you drill and ream the sleeve first, then cut the slots. You cannot ream once the slots are cut.

Yes, absolutely. That part I understood from the start. I wrote it incorrectly. Turn, drill, ream, bore, slot. ;) T y

Back