Micro100 boring bar, which coating? If any.

bfk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, I'm in the market for small high quality boring bar(s). Looking at the Micro100 site I see their bars come in a wide variety of coatings. I mostly work with aluminum, but a little steel now and then, maybe even brass on occasion. Which flavor should I choose? I saw a real deal on the TiN coated version, but don't want to get it if it's not good for my use.
I throw myself upon the assembled wisdom of the forum in search of an answer. (If there is one.)

Brian

Go for the TiN coatings. BUT be careful, TiN does not do too good cutting aluminum. They have a coating just for aluminum. Don't know if its good for steel or not.

Solid carbide, un coated bright, is what I'm thinking of buying. You can use it on ferrous and non ferrous metals and are less expensive than TiCn or TiAln. TraversToolCo has them. I've never had a problem using TIN coated drills with aluminum. Guhring sells TIN coated drills for Aluminum.
But, TIN is no longer a favored coating, TiAin, TICN and Zcarb are the coatings that I see being used more and more. Bright un coated is good enough for most aluminum alloys., IMHO.

Last edited:
I prefer the uncoated Micro 100 solid carbide bars; they tend to be cheaper. Coatings on an end mill that is moving at high speeds extend edge life and reduce the incidence of a BUE but on a boring bar I feel it is superfluous. Of course, if you can get a smoking deal on a Tin-coated Micro 100 bar then jump on it. You will find that boring bars don't have a big problem with a built up edge so the specialized coatings for aluminum are an unnecessary expense, in my opinion.

You are going to LOVE these little carbide bars, bfk!

Mikey, it was the "smoking deal on a TiN coated bar" that made me ask. Bought it last night on Amazon for $14.92. This morning it's back up to $70. No idea why it was cheap yesterday, but I don't really care. When it shows up on Monday I'll give it as good an examination as I can, but being Amazon I can always return it.

Brian

Now Brian, why didn’t you mention this “smoking deal” last night? I’d have jumped on one also!

Now Brian, why didn’t you mention this “smoking deal” last night? I’d have jumped on one also!

Sorry, Jeff. When I saw it last night it said there were only two left, and I had just gotten burned on something that sold out while I was thinking about it.
There are so many variations of size etc, but looking just now the prices range from $25 to $80, I think Amazon sets some of their prices using a magic 8 ball.

Brian

Reactions: Z2V
I just looked and got a long 1/2” for $80 off at $20.
Thanks

I don't know about those Amazon prices, but Micro100's Excel price list, has most of their boring bars in the $20-$30 range, and that's list., for solid carbide. I would check with other distributors. SunCoastTools has the Micro100 tin boring bars in the $27 range. These Micro100 BB's should not cost $80. Amazon has a bad habit of showing the wrong photo. I would cross reference the part # with Micro100's website numbers if buying from Amazon. I'm sure there's a smokin' deal somewhere. :)

Last edited:
Most likely was one of the special priced deals when there is only 1 or 2 left of an item sold by amazon. Sometimes you can get pretty awesome % discounts, but be sure to check around for comparable prices (not always as good as it first looks, but sometimes!). By the way, if there are 2, and you buy 1, the price shoots up again. So consider getting both of you can use it.

In fact, Micro 100 products sold by amazon seem to be on a bit of a purge or something. Search "micro 100", select industrial category, and select discount of 70% plus. I just got myself a few nice prices, including a apkt style endmill for $28 (lists around $150, amazon original price much higher at $180).

Back