Micro100 boring bar, which coating? If any.

No, just reduction sleeves that fit into the standard boring tool holders. I don't have pics of the ones that fit my Aloris 4D but these fit my tool holder on my Sherline:

IMG_0825.jpg

These sleeves hold 3/16" and 1/4" bars and are made of mild steel. They have a slot on one side and a shallow expansion slot on the opposite side to allow compression without cracking. The bore of the sleeve is reamed to a fine finish. Each sleeve is just slipped into a standard boring bar holder and when the screws are tightened, they close the sleeve on the bar and hold it solidly. I have similar sleeves that fit the Aloris 4D that accept 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" bars. Easy and cheap to make but work really well. I would make them instead of buying a special holder, Emilio. Most of the tiny Micro 100 bars have 3/16" or 1/4" shanks.

I do not have my Micro 100 boring bars to take pics of - Bonehead has them and is using them for a project he has. He took every tiny bar I had and has had them for several months. I forgot to record which ones he took and I hope I get them all back - big bucks! That sucker also has my Wilton precision screwless vise, too. Thanks for reminding me to think of him; I better go get my tools before he assumes they are on permanent loan.

Just buy the bars you need. Essentially, you will choose a bar that will fit into your starter hole and still clear chips. The maker will tell you what that minimum bore is. Then just be sure the shank is long enough to get to the bottom of your bore.

Can I assume that the only difference between using a right hand boring tool and a left hand boring tool would be the rotation of the work ? In random searches on the popular sites the left hand boring tools seem to be greatly discounted over the right hand tools.

Yup, LH boring bars are used with the lathe in reverse but is otherwise functionally the same. Oh, you do have to set your depth of cut away from you instead of toward you. It is often easier to see the work with a LH bar but if you're looking in the hole instead of paying attention to your feed, you might crash!

Reactions: Z2V
Looks like I can get tooled up as a left handed boring guy much cheaper than I can as a righty. My lathe does not have a threaded chuck so right or left should not matter.

If you buy inserted carbide LH bars, the inserts may be harder to find. Just a thought.

Oh, the inserts are hand specific also? It still might be worth the thought considering the amount of boring I will do.
A 10 pac of inserts will probably last me several years.

I may be wrong but last time I looked at a LH bar it used a specific insert.

Reactions: Z2V
Thanks Mikey. Those holders look great.
Remember, there are 3 things one should not loan out that never come back;
1. Tools
2. Books
3. audio recordings
I think #3 has been supplanted by money, since records, vinyl, tape, etc.., are not used too much anymore. :)

How did you cut that slot in the tool holder? Slotting saw?

Thanks Mikey. Those holders look great.
Remember, there are 3 things one should not loan out that never come back;
1. Tools
2. Books
3. audio recordings
I think #3 has been supplanted by money, since records, vinyl, tape, etc.., are not used too much anymore. :)

How did you cut that slot in the tool holder? Slotting saw?

Yeah, you're right. I should not loan things out but when Bonehead comes to me with those sad puppy dog eyes, he knows he can get anything he wants from me. Its okay; I've gotten decades of loyal friendship and support in return.

Yep, slitting saw for the slot. I clamped two sleeves in the vise with the axis of the sleeve in line with the vise axis, one on either side and of identical length and supported by parallels. Easy, peasy. When you make yours, be sure to use a good reamer and lots of cutting fluid to get the best finish you can inside the bore.

If you do mostly aluminum I would stick with a bright finish. No coatings. Zrn and Diamond may work better in aluminum, but uncoated works very well and then you don't have to worry about issues with other metals. Tin and many other coatings tend to chip weld with aluminum worse. If you really need to shave minutes or even seconds then you might consider some for aluminum and some for steels.

Back