Micrometer heads

Harlech

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
OK, I know these: Micrometer Head , are used in bench micrometers. I see them listed in abundance on Flea-bay, but it seems there are many more loose ones than those associated with bench mics. Is there some other use for these that I have yet to uncover? I mean, I know you could work them into pretty much anything you needed a precision stop on (a lathe perhaps?) but do they have some other use?

I can definitely see somebody incorporating one of these into a DIY micrometer carriage stop.

probably from the semiconductor industry

The large diameter of the thimble makes the graduations farther apart so, easier to read.
They're common on precision X-Y stages on optical comparitors and microscopes.

Edit: farther not further (I think).

Last edited:
I think it's utility as a lathe micrometer stop is limited because of its 3" diameter. That puts the rod 1.5" away from the edge.

I think it's utility as a lathe micrometer stop is limited because of its 3" diameter. That puts the rod 1.5" away from the edge.
Besides that, the 40 TPI spindle and very light duty nut seen in micrometers would make it easy to damage with very much pressure exerted against it. Carriage stops that have a micrometer feature generally use a 20 TPI spindle for that reason, and use a 50 division thimble.

Back