Mid Evil Madness

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
My latest project started off with another 2" Tuner's Cube blank that I made some time back, and then it took an evil twist when I had the idea to make another geometrical project. I used my 90* spotting/chamfering end mill to cut spikes on all sides. I also made several different patterns to distinguish it from a "meat tenderizer". It turned out to be a much more timely project that I had anticipated completing 72 - 1/4" grooves @ 3 passes each (216 total) to meet my desired depth and minimize chatter. Using my power feed at a crawl, it took me about 40+ hours to complete, and I haven't even deburred or considered a finish yet. It is very sharp, it could kill.

While it would make another interesting shelf project "as is" when finished, I've had way too much time to think about it while machining the cube.....:rolleyes: . I've also been watching way to many Forged in Fire and Iron & Fire TV programs. You might be able to guess where I'm going with this, but you'll have to wait for the pics of the finished product to satisfy your curiosity.

Equipment:

LMS High-Torque Mini Mill w/power feed
1/2" X 1/2" - 90* 4-flute chamfering end mill

Rick

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG

OK, here's what I did with the prickly cube. I decided to make a mid evil Mace. I started with a hickory handle, some aged leather and lace, and I made some brass knuckles to make it even more deadly. I fabricated the end caps out of .040 brass strip, cut and laced the leather, solid, 3/8" brass knuckles with pointed tips, ball peened. All of the metal was antiqued to look aged. I airbrushed the cube with black in the grooves for depth and then gun metal gray lightly to resemble pewter color. It was a lot of work but fun to make something look old, and it turned out just as I'd envisioned it.

God help the person at the receiving end of this weapon.

IMG_2533.JPG IMG_2540.JPG IMG_2542.JPG IMG_2544.JPG IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2549.JPG IMG_2555.JPG IMG_2559.JPG

They called the normal flail with a spiked round ball on the end a "Morning Star" in medieval times.

Medieval is one of those words that I can never recall how to spell! Thank you,Spell Check!!

That's one heck off a key chain. Nice job on all phases. Mike​

That's not a "mid evil" mace, that's a "high evil" mace!

What kind of neighborhood do you live in!?

... and incidentally, a nice looking set of brass knuckles!

Back