MIG progress

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
First, this forum and Welding Tips and Tricks gave me the confidence along with some good product tips to invest in a Hobart 210MVP and all the other stuff I need. My first project was a vertical stock rack. Welds are reasonably solid but pretty ugly. My second project is a welding table. Here are a couple of pictures.

20200705_155125[1].jpg

20200705_155056[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20200705_155125[1].jpg
    20200705_155125[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • 20200705_155056[1].jpg
    20200705_155056[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
When I was learning to Mig weld, the hardest part was seeing the puddle well enough to stay on line. A good helmet helped with that. The second hardest was finding the right setting to ensure adequate penetration. You can have a nice bead on top with very little penetration and that's no good. It just takes practice and it looks like you're off to a good start!

That’s a good looking table @Boswell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the weld is just sitting there. Maybe turn down the wire speed so you are not moving so fast and staying alittle longer so you can get the weld penetration you need. If that doesnt work well enough increase the amps or voltage depending on the machine settings.

Your in the ball park, I'm still learning too, looks like it needs to be a little warmer(I think) so the caterpillar lays a little flatter, and it starts to blend in with the base metal at the edges without under cutting. We'll see what the other pro welders have to say in addition to above...

Welds tend to want to sit on top like that and not wet in if you've not cleaned the mill scale off. Take a flap disc to the areas you want to weld and get some bright shiny metal up, then degrease with acetone or isopropyl. You've got good technique already - you'll put down some great welds with a bit of finesse in the prep. As said, maybe a tiny smidge more voltage or lower wire speed too. Nice job for first attempts, though!

I think that looks dam good for first try. Yes you could try little more heat and or down on wire feed. You may want to try minor adjustments on your gas also. Try small angle changes etc. Try anything but try to remember what you have changed. Even write it down to rember. The rest is practice. Oh and as mentioned, Clean. Good hood, you have to see well. One thing to try is planting your arm/arms whenever you can for stability. Being comfortable is most important. Get your hands in a comfortable position along with your body and even your feet. Lean on whatever is available. Rest your arms or arm and practice moving for your bead without pulling the trigger. just as you would practicing a putt. Speed, angle and body position really helps.

:Ddisclaimer, no i don't golf !! :)

Thanks all for the great feedback. Youtube is great but nothing beats direct feedback from observations. When I decided to learn to weld, I had no idea that 90% of the work would not be welding :) but cutting, cleaning, preparation, cleanup, painting .... I have mostly worked in Aluminum before this and Just moving all the steel around is work.

That is going to be one great welding table!
It should weigh a ton.

I almost always do some practice welds on the same material before doing any real welding.....it helps me find the best machine settings and remember technique if it's been a while, or if switching from TIG to MIG.

-brino

Looks great Boswell.
As others have said, your speed and settings make all the difference.
I try to get the settings down first with scraps of the same material I'm going to weld.
You are well on your way, that table has good clamping opportunities and if you need to replace a panel for any reason-easy peasy.

Back