Mike's 6-Axis Articulated Robot

Hey! Major congrats! That’s awesome work!

I hope you can get these working for your factory. If you have any other questions, feel free to chat any time.

Here is a list of good to know stuff in a random order:
  1. If you want your program to loop forever, start the program with [CYCLE] [9] [START]
  2. The end of arm tooling connector is hard to find, is discontinued, and only limited quantity (<30) were available world wide. I’d buy one or two sooner as opposed to later.
  3. Your one RC3 controller appears to be missing the IO module. I don’t believe it can run without one.
  4. Be careful to identify what style of IO module you have installed. The manuals show SOURCING INPUTS and SINKING OUTPUTS. This was the default configuration for Asian robots. My robot and the one from a guy I’ve been chatting with in Germany has SINKING INPUTS and SOURCING OUTPUTS. There is a manual addendum in the document package for this wiring. If you get it wrong, you’ll blow fuses.
  5. When programming, it is easiest to record the robot position while writing the program, however you can’t easily edit the position later. I’d recommend using a Joint or Position variable and saving the robot position to that. Then you can reuse that position multiple times in your program or easily edit it.
  6. There is no “go to position” function built into the robot to edit a point. I created a simple program that send the robot to a particular position variable and then ends. If I want to edit a saved position, I quickly edit that program to change the position variable, run the program to send the robot to the position, jog as necessary to tweak the point, then overwrite the saved point.
  7. I’ve started learning the more advanced programming instructions like multitasking and serial data transfers. If you want to mess around with this, I can share what I know.
  8. Never EVER remove or adjust the hard stops from the robot. These set the RANG positions. If they move, the RANG values will be wrong and the robot will never move correctly again. It requires some very complicated and accurate metrology equipment to derive new RANG values.
I’ll add more as I think of them.

Mike

I created some replacement robot encoder battery boards. If you’d like me to send you some, let me know. The original Denso boards are not available anymore.

Thanks!

1. Regarding automation, programming, etc., I have not yet studied the instructions in the manual in detail. It may take a while before I finish studying and start applying them.
I will continue to study hard!

2. Understood, thank you for reminding me.

3.4. Regarding the IO module, I completely disassembled it and had it repaired by someone else. We damaged the INPUT PORT pin 3 during welding. I will pay attention to the wiring part.

5.6.7. Thank you for your suggestion!
Using position variables for programming can make the program more flexible and make modifications faster and more convenient.
I'm probably still far away from that part haha, I'll ask you again if I have any questions later.

8. Wow, that would be a disaster for me, I would be careful not to remove or adjust to the hard stops.

Thank you again!

David

I created some replacement robot encoder battery boards. If you’d like me to send you some, let me know. The original Denso boards are not available anymore.
Thank you for your generosity!
At present, we use the original board to desolder and solder the new battery, and then wrap it with membrane.
The picture below is what it looks like before replacing the battery.
If I need the board in the future, I will ask you and buy it from you!
IMG_20231126_031103.jpgIMG_20231126_031128.jpg

I tried to write a simple program to test the automatic operation of the robot arm, such as video, which has been processed at twice the speed.
It’s really amazing that a robotic arm from 20 years ago can operate so accurately, which is very exciting.
Then I will continue to study how to write programs, and improve and refine this part.

Back