Mike's P.M. Research No. 6 Steam Engine

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I hand code very simple operations (drilling, facing, etc.) but have used CAM for most else. Over the years I've tried:

-MeshCAM
-HSM Works
-Mastercam 9
-Mastercam x8
-Mastercam 2017

Meshcam was super basic but dirt simple to use. Got me going in the early days, although it is not efficient and cannot make trochoidal "high efficiency" toolpaths.

HSM Works was included in Inventor for a while so I used that.

I have been fortunate enough to have access to MasterCAM for some time so that is what I use for the most part. If I were just getting into it, I don't know if this would be my first choice (ignoring price) as it is somewhat complicated, but it is a very powerful and flexible program. I never get air cutting unless I intentionally add it.

macardoso

Finished the Eccentric Ring - very happy to have this one done!

Fixture worked pretty well, much better than before but I should have made some custom clamps to go with it rather than bolts with unsupported washers.

First, only the bottom side of the split ring was clamped.
image293.jpg

Then the flat faces were indicated and tapped into alignment with the Y axis within 0.0005". This is critical to make sure the bore is split down the middle and not a chord. I also used an electronic edge finder at this point to locate the spindle on the split line. image294.jpg

Next boring was done. Between a thicker boring bar and better clamping the process went much better, but chatter was still a real problem. I ended up hand sharpening the boring bar on a diamond lap to get a very sharp positive cutting edge. I also was adjusting the spindle speed while the machine was running both up and down whenever it started to chatter. By varying the feed/speed constantly I was able to avoid too much chatter.
image295.jpg

Here is the complete bore right before removing it from the fixture
image296.jpg

And here is the finished Eccentric and Eccentric Ring. They must be carefully assembled to get the split lines to align otherwise the bearing is not smooth, but if they are well aligned the motion is buttery smooth.
image297.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock