Mike's P.M. Research No. 6 Steam Engine

I did a #3, I think you'd be hard pressed to do it without a mill. There are a few surfaces that need to be milled flat/square that would be not possible without a mill or a really large lathe.

Really got my interest up on this. I am looking at PM Researches #3 steam engine kit. I am wondering if the machining on this kit can be done with only a SB 9C lathe and a drill press. I don't have a mill.
I’m not as familiar with the #3, but I could see you making do with a drill press if it were quite stout and you invested in a compound table. Obviously far from ideal, but if you were really gentle with it, and were capable of high quality bench work to finish it up, then you could probably be successful.
It would be a fun project either way!

My drill press is a Craftsman that I bought around the mid to late 70s (belt drive, 12 speed maybe). I have tried to spot mill a little piece once before using the drill chuck and the chuck kept coming out of the spindle (morse taper if memory serves me). I don't think it's stout enough to do any type of mill work.

Back in '16 I found a vintage Craftsman drill press at a local Habitat for Humanity shop, "motor no worky," for $25. I repaired/refurbished it and eventually sold it to a friend. The really interesting thing about his drill press was the fact that there's a clamp ring above the chuck that holds it in place against side forces. The original maual mentions router bits. I kinda wondered if it could also be used for minor milling.
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 4.32.52 PM.jpg

Here's a close-up of the chuck and clamp ring.
IMG_26112_zps63e29988.jpg

RWanke go ahead & order the PM No3.
While by no means simple, it’s MUCH easier than this one.
As Eric said you will have some problems without a mill.
But if you have a 4jaw chuck & some endmills you can put in the chuck with MT holder, or even a 3jaw chuck, give it a try.
A milling attachment or some way to hold the base square while u machine it is a must though.
But part of the reason we do these things is to be creative, no?
Macardoso, I an enjoying your build, thanks for sharing.
I have that same Greenfield Little Giant tap & die set, those 2 piece dies are indeed interesting. There is even instructions on how to sharpen them.

Not wanting to hijack this thread and send it in another direction I have done some very small milling on my SB lathe by holding the part in a tool holder and an end mill in the 4 jaw or a collet. I don't have a milling adapter setup for my lathe and might have to do some serious thinking on how to hold a large object on the cross slide to mill. I am assuming the mill work that needs to be done on the No.3 is on the base???? Anyone that has built one of these please feel free to chime in. I may give PM a call tomorrow and ask some questions. Thanks all.

This is from PM's description on their site.

...." With a 2-1/4 inch flywheel and an overall length of 6 inches, this kit will make a great project for the machinist with a small lathe. The casting kit is available with either aluminum castings, or bronze & iron castings."....

What I meant was put endmills in MT #2or 3 endmill holders in spindle or 3 jaw chuck if you do not have holders. My bad.
The 4 jaw I used for boring cylinder & facing & irregular shapes, could have done the base with it also, but the mill was much easier.
I also have SB9C.
I am not finished with the PM No 3 bi yet, my 1st casting kit.
Gonna order the PM No 5 next.
Very enjoyable hobby, eh?

I have faced quite a few irregular shapes on my lathe with the 4 jaw. I just didn't know if the base would fit or not. What all has to be milled on the base?

I think we’re hijacking this thread.
I am certainly no expert, but send me a PM & I’ll share what little I know.

Back