Mike's P.M. Research No. 6 Steam Engine

Man, that sucks.
I think we’ve all done something like this.
At least you’re not bleeding.
Yeah, i’ve done that too......

I usually end up snapping off an end mill or edge finder when I get the axis switch wrong. At least you only trashed the part. (trying for the bright side)

Oh no, that's a bit gutting! What's the plan?
Fortunately PM research is really good about selling replacement castings fairly affordably. Alternatively you could turn one from some brass rod if you were ok with losing the casting marks.

Called up PM Research and got a guy right at closing time. Very professional company. Guy was able to immediately confirm they had the spare castings in stock ($28). Got one, plus some of their old-timey 1/4-20 screws to match the blunder on the base, plus shipping for $40.

Still mad at myself but the ending was OK.

The amazing part is my Alu-Power endmill ($30) is perfectly fine after plunging into the part at probably 150 ipm.

I gotta be careful about working in the shop after I finish my day job. I really need to be in the right headspace or I make mistakes. Really thought I was but I was shown differently.

It is sooo hard to keep the right level of concentration on a repetitive task. I am sure all of us have ways to reduce risk but I thought that I would like to share a few things I do as we can never have too many safety discussions. Mardardoso, This is in no way a criticism but just an opportunity to discuss safety with our community.
  1. I try to do repetitive tasks the same way in the same order as much as possible
  2. I try to review common or possible failure modes in my mind at the beginning of a session. (easy to say, harder to remember to do)
  3. Slow Down. This is the hardest for me. I spent my career in process improvement and speed is money. I try to be aware of when I am going faster through the steps and purposely pause and think about. (most often right after I crash something or make a mental error :oops: )

AHHHH S***.

Spun the jog pendant, had it set to the wrong axis.
Can you braze filler in place and distress the surface to look like a casting? I have a project where I'm going for a sand-cast look in a steel part. A needle scaler does a really nice job mucking up the surface to look like a casting.

Bruce

Can you braze filler in place and distress the surface to look like a casting? I have a project where I'm going for a sand-cast look in a steel part. A needle scaler does a really nice job mucking up the surface to look like a casting.

Bruce
I'm not going to toss the part, although I do plan on doing all work on the new casting.

I do not have a welder, oxy torch, or anything to allow me to braze it up. I'll have to find a friend at some point. The casting is bronze, so I'm guessing you probably can find bronze TIG rod.

Although I guess "brazing" bronze to bronze is really welding since you melt the base metal.

any more progress?
Yes, have some of the features on the connecting rod done and I am finishing up the eccentric ring. I'd like to finish that one first since it also requires a slitting saw but will be easier to access than the connecting rod. Only 4 major parts left to finish including these.

Wife and I are trying to buy a house so a lot of my free time is being taken up by that.

I'll post a real update soon.

Back