Mild Steel?

Sackett

Registered
Registered
What exactly is "mild steel", is it hot rolled, like angel, and plate, or is it something different? I see people doing projects, and they say they used mild steel.Inquireing mind wants to know

Mild steel is basicly low carbon steel like 1018 - 1020.

What exactly is "mild steel", is it hot rolled, like angel, and plate, or is it something different? I see people doing projects, and they say they used mild steel.Inquireing mind wants to know
'Mild steel' is a broad, loosely defined term thrown around in the metals industry and usually refers the metal chemistry, most specifically carbon content. I agree with the definition in Groundhog's link, although it's not common to see the term clearly defined. Mild steel would be the most common type of steel that a hobbyist would encounter, including most structural steel and sheet metal.

'Hot rolling' would refer to the manufacturing process. Just like it sounds, the metal is formed using specially shaped rolls while the steel is still hot. Cold rolling is similar, only with cold steel instead.

Hope that helps,

-Jake

They basically mean it's not a special numbered or hardened tool steel . Easy to machine no specific properties for strength or hardening. Like most angle iron or box channels. Yes I know angle iron and box have the strength and properties but they machine pretty easily.

Last edited:
think of low carbon, when you think of mild steel.
some mild steels (12L14,1214,1215) contain lead, sulphur, manganese, or phosphorus to improve machinability,
at the cost of not being able to be hardened significantly.
12L14 doesn't weld very well at all, due to the lead content

yes sir,
if you find 12L14 or 1214 they are both the best machining steels i have run across.
10XX is good general grade too, but the machining is slightly more difficult than the aforementioned steels, but welds easily

drops from the steel shop will suffice in most projects you run across :grin:

Mild steel contains approximately 0.05–0.25% carbonmaking it malleable and ductile. Mild steel has a relatively low tensile strength, but it is cheap and easy to form; surface hardness can be increased through carburizing.

Wikipedia.

I will add if you want to machine it try cold rolled it's a tiny bit more but it is actually really close to its stated size I've had hot rolled that was way off it also isn't covered in mill scale which is pretty hard on bits etc and for me machined better than hot rolled still not great especially with a small machine that can't take heavy cuts but it's cheap and plentiful to learn on :)

Back