mill and lathe.....what should I use for coolant/lubricant?

you can use flood coolant because you have a door and contained area to keep the splash in. Also you or your maintenance people test the coolant on some kind of regular basis and change it out as needed....that was how it was done when I was working....
Insert manufacturer Seco recommends no coolant as the inserts are not carbide, I do not know what they are, CBN, PCD?
They work well however, do not run it with the doors open (-:

You can also buy kerosene, by the gallon or in bulk, for far less money, and it will work just about the same.

Yes you can but Kerosene is close to $5 a gallon here. I’ve used diesel fuel for aluminum at under $2.50 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a inexpensive mister, just a pain to set up for a simple job. However it does work well. I have some coolant that I got form work before I retired so I’m set. Just need to come up with a better way to easily and quickly mount it.

If you want to try flood coolant get a gallon of "Trim MicroSol 585XT" made by master chemical.
Can get it on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TRIM-MS585XT...=8-1-spons&keywords=trim+microsol+585xt&psc=1

Their website: https://www.masterfluidsolutions.com/na/en-us/index.php

Mixes at 10% so a gallon makes almost 13 gallons of coolant (I mix 10oz to a gallon myself)
My manual lathe holds less than 2 gallons. So a gallon will last for years for a machine like that.
I've used other name brands (big advertising) and it went rancid and stunk very quickly. This stuff either doesn't or it just doesn't bother me when it does. I don't notice it ever having much smell.

I use it in my manual lathe, mill, surface grinder, cylindrical grinder, and cnc lathe.
I have a 5 gallon bucket on hand.
Pretty sure I got it for $170.00 on a free shipping promo. Haven't looked for a price for a long time since getting that quantity, that amazon price sure has gone up from what I remember.

I've used Trim C350 for flood cooling/lubricating my CNC mill for years. I use it on all types of aluminum and steel. Not for use on cast iron or titanium.

Use some method to insure accurate mixing ratios (like a brix refractometer - about $20). It can leave sticky/gooey deposits on the mill if mixed too heavily. Does not cause not rust if mixed properly, but may require distilled/filtered water. I've lived where I could use tap water without rusting but where I am now I must use filtered water or I get rust. I have a small, cheap aquarium air pump on a timer that bubbles for 10 minutes a couple of times a day to keep the algae & odor at bay. I use the same coolant for months (years actually) without odor that way, just toping up with water and/or C350 as needed (keeping the ratio within limits).

If I werent already set up with an enclosure I would sure give a mister and/or just air a try. I use brushed on Tap Magic for Aluminum and Rapid Tap Cutting fluid for steel on my lathe but will add a mister soon.

Just need to come up with a better way to easily and quickly mount it.

I recently bolted one to the magnetic base from a HF indicator holder. Works great. The mister had 2 mounting holes, I just drilled and tapped the mag base to match.

I bought a couple of these put oil/kero in one, and water soluble in the other. Keep the premix in the gallon size laundry detergent jugs that have the squeeze bulb valve caps.

wash bottle.jpg

Personally I wouldn't run flood coolants in a shop at the house . When the coolant goes rancid , that **** stinks like a crab shell filled dumpster . I don't miss that smell one bit ! For aluminum , the WD-40 is simple , brush it or spray it . I hate misters at home also . Oil or tap magic for steel and WD-40 for alum .

Watch anything that will flash , especially if you smoke ! :chemist:

I recently bolted one to the magnetic base from a HF indicator holder. Works great. The mister had 2 mounting holes, I just drilled and tapped the mag base to match.

Mine is set up the same way. But I’m not happy with setting it up on the mill.

Back